Silent Reunion

Waking from my nap, I was surprised to see the sun setting. The funeral had been around noon, and I hadn't expected to sleep so long.

The memory of my dream still lingered in my mind as I sat up. My wolf was begging for me to run to him. It was very tough to hold myself back from her desire.

I stood up to lean on the window sill, and stare out at the orange sky. Watching a bird carry a worm up to a tree, I tried distracting myself by wondering if it was for its babies.

"Hey!" I jumped as I heard an angry shout from behind me, "Why aren't the dishes washed?"

I whirled around, only to mutter, "I'm sorry if my sleep interferes with my duties as a house wife, Kyle."

"Don't take that tone with me, baby girl!" He growled, stepping closer, "I want those dishes clean by nightfall, then you better be in this bed!"

"You said I get a week!" I hissed, pushing past him.

"Don't worry, you'll get your precious week." He followed me to the kitchen, "I just want you to help me with something else."

Growling at the hint in his voice, I turned on the water, "Can I actually spend the night at my mother's?"

I could feel his gaze on my back turn cold, "Why?"

"I want to make sure she's alright." I quickly thought up a lie, "She suspects someone has been spying on her."

He gave a humorless laugh, "The loss of your father must have driven her mad."

Picking up another dish, I fought the urge to throw it at him, "Maybe, but I want to be sure."

Sighing, I heard him turn away, "Fine."

Once he left, I heard the bedroom door slam. I clenched my fist around a knife I forgot I was holding, then slammed it on the counter. Realizing what I did, I looked to see its handle sticking out, with my hand still around it. The blade was completely hidden in the marble. I sighed, letting go of it and finishing up the dishes.

I decided to leave the knife there as a sign to Kyle while I was gone. Leaving the house, I headed to my mother's. The sun was now hidden, leaving only a little daylight left over the streets.

Eventually, I was stepping inside the familiar home, being greeted by my mother. I headed to the living room with her, only to see Samantha sitting on the couch.

"Sammy?" I rushed over and wrapped my arms around her as she stood up.

"Jade!" She returned the hug, "How dare you ignore me this past week!"

I waited a few moments before pulling away, "I'm sorry, I've just been so busy getting prepared for the funeral and my Alpha ceremony."

"When's the ceremony?" She asked excitedly.

"In a couple of days." I replied, "Kyle will inform the pack once we're sure."

"Why does he get to?" She squeaked, "You should be the only acting Alpha! He's just there for show!"

"I wish that were true." I muttered, then turned to my mother, "Can I spend the night in my old room?"

Confused, she nodded, "Of course, honey, but why?"

"I just need a night away from Kyle." I sighed.

"Can I stay too?" Samantha chimed in, then squeaked when my mother nodded again, "It'll be just like a sleepover! Like when we were kids."

I smiled, before leading her upstairs. We entered my bedroom, and I was immediately met with his scent again. I looked to the closet to see his hat perfectly placed on a box.