Far From Home

Blinking awake, I yawned and slowly sat up. I looked out my bedroom window to see the sun shining in. I suddenly realized something was wrong. I was supposed to be miles away from here. Was it all a dream?

I shook myself awake and ran downstairs. Stepping outside, I noticed the street was covered in some kind of dark mist. I stared in horror as the mist quickly spread, engulfing every house. As it approached, I turned to sprint back through the house to get to the back door.

Remembering my parents might still be there, I called out to them. Getting no response, I ran upstairs to their room. Nobody was there, so I hoped they made it out. Before I could get back downstairs, the mist took over the house. I suddenly couldn't move, and it became impossible to breathe.

Just before fainting, my eyes opened. I was back in the RV, and it was still dark out. I realized I was breathing heavily, and I was covered in sweat.

"You alright?" I jumped to the sound of Jamie's voice.

I looked in his direction, seeing him slowly sitting up, "Yeah, just a bad dream."

"About your home?" He asked, "You were calling for your parents."

I groaned in embarrassment, turning to face the wall, "Did I wake you up?"

Hearing him stand up, I was suddenly pulled back to face him, "Be honest. Do you want to go back?"

"It was just a dream." I replied quietly.

"Jade." He growled, sending shivers through my body, "It was selfish of me to just go along with this plan. I should've talked you out of it."

"None of it is your fault!" I hissed, "I made the decision, whether it was a stupid one or not."

He placed a hand on my cheek, "So you want to go back?"

I hesitated, focussing on his touch so I wouldn't break down, "I don't know."

I suddenly remembered all the messages that must have been on my phone. Knowing where Samantha stashed it, I got up to find it. I quickly found it in the bottom of her suitcase, and turned it on. There were almost fifty missed calls, and over a hundred texts.

"Jade, sweetie, where are you?"

"Are you alright?"

"Please respond!"

"I'm getting our fighters involved."

Those were just a sample of my mother's messages. I also had a few from Samantha's mother, and even Kyle. By the time I read all of them, I was in tears. Jamie sat beside me on the bed, and pulled me into him. Burying my face in the side of his neck, I tried to gain control of my breathing.

"Why would a future Alpha make such a stupid choice?" I cried.

"Shh, it's okay." He whispered, rubbing my back, "We'll go home today."

Pulling away from him, I wiped my eyes. I quickly sent my mother a text saying I was fine, and that I'd be coming home within a few days. I hated the thought of ruining Samantha and Destiny's plans, but I was willing to run as a wolf if I had to, to let them live here happily.

* * *

I stayed awake by myself for the next few hours while the sun came up. I had convinced Jamie to go back to sleep until the others woke up.

I decided to take a walk just as the sun rose above the houses and trees. Exiting the RV, I started off down the road, taking in the fresh air. I took in all the sights and smells as I walked through the unfamiliar streets.