Chapter Ten

"Ally!" Lauren called, jogging after her assistant. She was still in her full Kiara getup, angel wings and all.

Ally turned around, her surprise clearly evident on her face. "Yes, Miss Jauregui?"

"Do you still have all that mail?" Lauren asked, brushing a feather from her shoulder.

"Ah, well you've received some more since the last time," Ally explained. "But I figured you wouldn't want to know about it."

Lauren considered and nodded. "Grab three random letters from the stack, and leave them on my dressing table. Do that every week."

Ally arched both eyebrows. "Uh, yes, Miss."

Lauren turned around and headed out to her trailer to change. "Thank God it's Friday," she muttered to her reflection.

Removing her wings and the rest of her angelic getup, she slipped into some jeans and a navy blue tee shirt. She was in the process of fastening her anklet when there was a knock on the door.

"Enter," Lauren called.

Ally walked in. "Three letters," she said, fanning them out in her hand so Lauren could count them. "Ms. Theron wants to see you," the assistant added, placing the envelopes on the table.

Lauren sighed. "Thanks, Ally," she said, rising to her feet. She grabbed her laptop case, her bookbag, and the letters and exited the trailer, heading toward the director's office. Finding the door open, she walked in.

Charlize Theron, the director of Guardian: A Second Chance, sat at her desk.

"Take a seat, Lauren."
Lauren complied, placing the fan mail on top of the laptop on the floor beside her.

"What's up?" She couldn't fathom why Charlize would want to see her. She hadn't messed up any lines. She'd been on time. And she'd nailed all of her scenes.

"Some people are coming down to the set next week," Charlize began. "They want to do a short interview with you."

Lauren shrugged her shoulders. "So what's the problem?"

"No problem," Charlize replied. "Just giving you a head's up. Nice work today, by the way."

"Thanks," Lauren answered, rising to her feet. "Anything else?"

"Have a good weekend," Charlize said.

"You too." The actress picked up her stuff and headed out the door toward her Rav4.

Once inside, she turned the ignition and sat back with a sigh. It was Friday night and she was feeling anxious.

Adrian was off shooting his new independent film. Something about a palm tree and a tomato. She never did understand those artistic type things.

And that was the extent of her friends.
As if on cue, her cell phone started ringing. She dug into the front pocket of the laptop case and withdrew the ringing object.

"Jauregui," she said.

"Don't you call home anymore?"
Lauren rolled her eyes at the sound of her mother's voice. She didn't want to deal with this now.

"I called."

"When?"

Lauren racked her brain. "A couple of weeks ago," she responded, wishing she'd receive another call so she'd have a reason to get off the phone with her mother.

Clara Jauregui sighed loudly. "Well your sister wants you to come see her play on Sunday."

"Oh, that's this weekend?" Lauren asked, wanting to bang her head against the steering wheel.