Chapter 30

When Lauren awoke the next morning, she was instantly rewarded with the soothing sounds of groaning. She blinked in confusion, looking around the large hotel room. She listened closely.

"Ow, damnit!"

Lauren frowned and threw the covers off her body and rolled out of bed. She walked out of the room, and glanced over the railing to the first floor of the penthouse, where she found Adrian attempting to do push-ups. Lauren rolled her eyes and headed into the bathroom.

Why does he insist on exercising so much? Could he possibly get any bulkier? She finished brushing her teeth and descended the stairs.

"C'mon, c'mon, fucker!" Adrian growled as he fell flat on his chest.

Lauren stood by her best friend, watching the display with amusement.

"Having trouble?" she asked innocently.

Adrian glanced up at her from his place on the floor and sighed.

"Good morning," he mumbled. He groaned again as he sat up and glanced at his arm. "Damn thing."

Lauren noticed the cut on his arm for the first time and she kneeled beside him with concern.

"What the hell happened to you?" she asked, inspecting the injury.

"I fell," he admitted, whining slightly. He pouted. "Kiss it better?"

"Ah, no thanks," Lauren answered, patting his head. She stood and headed to the kitchen to grab a soda. "That's what you get for Roller blading at night. I told you not to go out there."

Adrian joined her in the kitchen a moment later and leaned against the counter. "You know I have to get at least a mile in every day," he told her. "And since we had to catch that early flight yesterday ..." He let the rest hang in the air. "Besides, it was a beautiful night."

"For tripping?" Lauren grinned as she popped open the Coca-Cola can and took a much needed sip. "You're lucky you didn't break anything."

"There was a rock," Adrian argued.

Lauren made a pouting face and walked over to pinch Adrian's cheek. "Aww, wittle wock giving Adrian some twoble?" She slapped his face lightly and walked over to the couch. "So what are you doing today?"

Adrian rubbed his cheek and turned around. "Well, I'm going for a jog," he answered. "Then I'm hoping to come home to that nice massage someone promised me."

Lauren turned and pointed toward the phone. "Their number's over there. Just give them a call and they'll be more than happy to come up here and molest you. Just make sure I'm not home when they get here." She made a show of shuddering.

Adrian appeared in front of her a moment later. A gray sleeveless tee shirt and black track pants were his outfit of choice that morning. It's what he generally wore in the mornings on his way out to exercise. How she'd landed such a health conscious lunatic for a best friend, Lauren wasn't sure. But there he was, in all his muscled glory, staring down at her with a look of unadulterated curiosity.

"And what are you doing today?" he asked.

The cold can was beginning to numb her fingers, so Lauren put it down before regarding her friend. "I thought I'd take a walk," she said. "Sightsee a little. What do you think? Should I be a redhead, a brunette, or a blonde today?"

"I think you should shave your head." He nodded solemnly, and made a buzzing sound. "No one will recognize you then, trust me."

"Mmm," Lauren responded. "I'll consider that."