Chapter 48

"Camila , come on!" Dinah called, pounding on the door between words.

"She's going to be here any second and I'm not even showered yet."

Camila opened the door just as Dinah delivered another hard knock to what was supposed to be the door. "Owwww! Geez!" Camila cried, grabbing her nose as the pain registered.

"Serves you right. Did you leave me any hot water," Dinah wondered, stepping inside.

"What do you need hot water for?" Camila asked, rubbing her bruised appendage.

"It's like 200 degrees in here."

A sudden buzzing noise interrupted the rest of the conversation.

"That's her. Shit. Tell her I'll be out in a second," Dinah said, and slammed the door closed.

Camila tightened the towel around her otherwise naked body and sighed. She walked toward the intercom.

"Hello?"

"It's Lauren Jauregui," came the response.

"Come on up," Camila replied. She looked around the apartment for a moment, making sure that it was presentable. Dinah had spent the entire morning cleaning everything. It didn't really make much of a difference though. Compared to Lauren's apartment, Camila's was a total dump.

The knock at the door a minute later interrupted her survey. She didn't have a chance to figure out what exactly bothered her about the comparison between Lauren's apartment and her own. It wasn't shame or jealousy. So maybe it was both.

"Hi," she said, opening the door for the actress. "Come in." She stepped aside to let Lauren in, and focused on keeping the towel closed. The last thing she needed was to give the actress a show.

"I just stepped out of the shower," she said, by way of explanation. "Dinah will be right out."

Lauren smiled slightly but didn't meet her gaze. In fact, she looked everywhere but at Camila . Maybe Lauren realized that she was doing that, because she finally forced her gaze to meet Camila '.

"Thanks," she said. "Am I early?"

Camila shook her head and closed the door. "No, Dinah is just ... late," she answered, feeling extremely self-conscious. "Mind if I get dressed real quick?"

"Not at all."

"Make yourself at home," Camila instructed before returning to her bedroom. Once the door closed, she rushed to the closet to pick out an outfit.

Anthony would be there soon and she wanted to make sure she looked decent enough. Only, every time she considered something, she found herself wondering what Lauren would think of it. In the end, she decided she didn't care what anyone thought, and settled on jeans and a tee shirt.

Satisfied with the image in her reflection, she ventured out into the living room, where she found Lauren sitting patiently on the couch. "Dinah hasn't come out?" she asked, sitting down beside the actress.

"She came out," Lauren replied. "Then went back in."

Camila smiled. "It might be a few minutes. She has difficulty in the deciding-what-to-wear department."

"It's a common malady," Lauren replied amiably. "So what are you doing today? Hanging out?"

Camila shrugged. "For a bit. Anthony's coming over. We'll probably go out."

"Oh. Sounds like fun," Lauren replied.

Camila caught the strange look that passed across the actress' features, momentarily darkening her usually impassive expression. It was a flash; a flicker of the eyes. But it made Camila wonder.