Chapter Twelve

To Lauren's great dismay, Sunday arrived. So she found herself sitting in a crowded auditorium, watching a bunch of bumbling idiots destroy what should've been a wonderful play.

Her beloved sister was among them; playing Juliet, no less.

"Oh Romeo, Romeo ..."

Kill me. Kill me now, Lauren pleaded silently. Her poetry notebook lay open on her lap and she was scribbling random lines of poetry in the dark; she only wished she'd thought to bring her laptop. She could've found someone to chat with and help pass the time.

If God were indeed merciful, he'd take pity on her now and strike her down. She cast her eyes heavenly, waiting for something to happen.

Nothing did.

I'm in hell. She glanced on stage. And my sister is the Devil.

Finally, an eternity later, the curtain went down and the house lights came on. The cast came out for their curtain call, and Lauren clapped along with the rest of the enthusiastic audience. As the crowd dispersed, Lauren made her way to the front of the auditorium to meet up with the rest of her family.

People recognized her as she passed by them, and she forced smiles in their direction, hoping that no one would walk up and start talking to her. Just in case they were considering it, she made sure to wear her most unapproachable look.

Thankfully, it worked.

"Oh you showed up," Taylor noted, still standing atop the stage so she could look down at everyone else.

Lauren looked up at her sister. "Promised I would." She kissed her mother's cheek and then her father's.

"Mom, Dad," she greeted casually.

"Wasn't she wonderful?" Clara Jauregui asked, smiling proudly at her youngest daughter. "One of these days she's gonna give you a run for your money."

Lauren tried not to laugh at the idea. "I live in fear," she replied dryly.

Taylor rolled her eyes. "You're just jealous, Laur. Cause even if you are a big deal actress, you'll never be as beautiful as me."

"Tay , control yourself," Michael Jauregui said, speaking up for the first time. "Go change. We've got reservations for nine."

Taylor headed off to the dressing room to change, leaving Lauren to battle the lesser-demons.

"What is this you're wearing?" Clara asked in obvious distaste.

Lauren looked down at herself. Just to piss off her mother, she'd decided on a long-sleeved cotton shirt with the sleeves rolled up. A black leather vest, black jeans, and black boots.

"Don't you like it?" she asked innocently.
Clara let out a long breath. "You look like one of those beatnik poets."

"Why thank you, mother," Lauren replied with a bright smile. "That's the biggest compliment you've given me yet."

Michael cleared his throat. "So, Lauren, how's the movie coming along?"

"Pretty well, Dad," Lauren replied. "The budget for the film is a lot bigger than for the TV show so we've got some pretty cool special effects underway. The director, Charlize Theron, is excellent. I really love the different dimensions she's brought to Kiara's character."

"How much did you get paid?" Clara asked.

Lauren sighed at her mother. Why was it all about money with her?

"Four million," she answered.

Clara frowned. "That's it?"

"What do you mean, 'that's it?'" Lauren asked, trying not to yell. "How much do you make?"