Chapter 43

"Lauren ," Adrian said, waving his fork in the air in front of his best friend's face.

"Laur!" he called louder.

Lauren's eyes focused on Adrian suddenly.

"What?" she snapped.

"Look, I realize that I'm not a total expert in the way of female troubles," he began,

"but I am pretty sure that a woman does not PMS for two weeks."

"What are you talking about?"

Adrian put his fork down and regarded Lauren with an impatient look. "You've been an absolute pain in my ass for the past two weeks," he stated. "You've been irritable, shorttempered and a total bitch. I know you're leaving for New York in a week, but that's no reason to be so unbearable."

Lauren didn't flinch. "I just have a lot of things on my mind," she answered.

Adrian retrieved his fork and shook his head as he attempted to spear some of his pasta. "Nope," he said. "Ain't buying it. You always have a lot of things on your mind. This is something far more serious than that."

Lauren rolled her eyes and continued to push food around her plate. She didn't have much of an appetite. She didn't have much of anything lately.

"Does it have something to do with Camila ?" Adrian ventured to ask. The look on Lauren's face answered the question for him.

Lauren dropped her utensil and sat back with a sigh. "I don't want to talk about it."

"You haven't mentioned her in two weeks, Lauren ," Adrian pointed out. "You'd spent the past two months talking of nothing else." His voice softened. "What happened?"

Lauren's lips tightened into a line. Ever since Anthony had popped into the picture ... Camila hadn't been the same.

She'd go days without responding to emails. And when she did respond, all she would talk about was Anthony. Anthony is so sweet. Anthony is so wonderful. She rolled her eyes at the thought. "Nothing happened," she answered finally.

"It's truly amazing what a great actress you are, considering the fact that you can't lie for shit," Adrian responded.

Lauren struggled to keep a calm composure. "I told you nothing happened. So, just finish your meal and drop it."

"I can't drop it, Lauren ," Adrian responded, sounding angry, but not as angry as he felt. "I hate that you shut me out whenever something's wrong. It's frustrating!"

Lauren refused to meet his gaze. She concentrated on the pattern on the mantel, trying to decide whether to get up and walk away or remain seated. In the end, she stayed where she was.

Adrian stood instead. "I'll walk back," he informed her, dropping his napkin on the table. "Thanks for lunch." He shook his head and walked away.

Lauren stared at his retreating back and reached into her pocket for her wallet. Life just couldn't get any suckier than this.

—————-/////—————-

"What are you up to?" Dinah inquired, plopping beside her best friend on the couch.

Camila glanced away from the computer monitor for a moment. "Checking email," she answered.

"Heard from Laura yet?" Dinah asked.

Camila shook her head sadly. "Nope," she answered. "It's been almost two weeks. I'm worried."

"Call her."