Chapter 57

ANYTHING FOR THE GAYS !!!!

Lauren stared blankly at the piano keys beneath her outstretched fingers. She knew she was supposed to be playing; she'd heard Normani yell, "action," just moments before. She'd only stepped out of character for a second, a blink of an eye. But it had been long enough to notice that Camila had slipped into the set. It was enough to kill her concentration completely.

"I'm sorry," she apologized, turning slightly. She could see the entire crew watching her intently. The lights had been dimmed for the purpose of the scene. Lena Harlow enjoyed playing in relative darkness. "Can we try that again?"

"Still rolling," Normani called back.

Lauren turned her attention to the piano in front of her. She closed her eyes, attempting to access the part of her mind that didn't care if Camila was watching, the part that belonged to Lena.

A second later, she began to play, her fingers gliding over the keys. Who would've thought that eight years of forced piano lessons would ever come in handy? But at that moment, she was grateful to her parents. Learning Lena's music hadn't been as hard as it would've otherwise been.

She continued to play, ignoring the cameras around her and the eyes she knew were fixed on her performance; one pair in particular. Lena Harlow was alone in that room, eyes closed, lost in the music. But Lauren knew that she wasn't alone. She knew that Elle had entered, and was close behind her.

Yet, Lena remained unaware of Emma's presence. So, when she felt the warm fingers touch her skin, her eyes flew open and her hands abruptly ceased their dance. The last key she hit was the wrong one, and the awkward note echoed in the sudden stillness of the room.

Lauren didn't turn, reveling in the comfort of her lover's touch.

"Why did you stop?" Emma asked softly.

"It was such a beautiful melody."

"Some things are more beautiful than music," Lena responded, finally turning.

She stared at Emma for a long moment.

"You shouldn't be here."

Emma trailed her fingers across Lena's cheek. "I waited until everyone left."

"And cut!"

The director's voice cut through the moment, shattering the illusion. Lauren blinked, returning to herself.

"Take five everybody," the director added a second later, her attention on the notebook in front of her.

"Thank God," Elle muttered as she passed by Lauren.

It was then that Lauren remembered Camila, and nervousness crept up on her.

Should she go talk to her? Should she pretend she hadn't seen her? Lauren knew that Dinah had finished early and left with Billy. So, what was Camila doing there? Waiting for her?

The questions continued to multiply in her mind as she made her way toward Camila . She wasn't sure when she'd made a conscious decision to approach the artist, but it was too late to make a U-turn.

Camila was smiling as Lauren approached. "That was really good," she said by way of a greeting. "And you look very nice in a dress."

Lauren had forgotten she was in costume.

As a reflex, she glanced down at herself and laughed. She'd never thought she'd be standing in front of Camila's in a frilly dress. "Yeah, I've always wanted to be a lady." She glanced up nervously. "So, what brings you here?"