Chapter 33

Miniature golf, in Lauren's  opinion, was a baffling activity. What was the point, really, of hitting a ball and trying to insert it into a hole, only to repeat the process.

Pointless. Idiotic ...

"I love this game," Adrian commented, as his blue ball rolled right into the hole. With a satisfied smirk, he turned to Lauren .

"Don't you?"

She made a grunting sound in response and positioned herself to hit her own ball. She aimed. She hit. She missed. I hate this game. She walked across the green carpet lawn thing and tried again.

"Good thing the place is empty," Adrian teased. "You'd make the ten o'clock news for sure, otherwise. 'Lauren Jauregui, star of Guardian, was pummeled to death with a miniature golf club early Tuesday afternoon, after a group of exasperated players lost their patience. Sources inform us, that Miss Jauregui averaged about twenty-three attempts per hole. It is no wonder that the angel has returned to heaven, where we can all hope she gets some lessons.'"

Lauren was not amused. "Are you quite through?"

"I could go on," Adrian said.

"I can't believe this is how I'm spending my lunch hour," Lauren  muttered. She tried again. And again. And again.

"Maybe it'll be easier if you just put the ball in the hole yourself." Adrian suggested smugly.

Lauren narrowed her eyes at him, hoping she looked menacing. "Don't make me beat you," she threatened, holding up the putter for effect. "Cause I'll do it.

Adrian made a zipping motion across his lips and stood by patiently.

It took her a few tries—though certainly not twenty-three—before the red ball rolled into its intended destination.

Adrian clapped mockingly, and whistled.

"You're a natural," he stated as they started walking to the next hole. "So, how's filming?"

Lauren considered the question while Adrian made a hole in one. She rolled her eyes. Here we go again. She tried not to think about making the shot, and just focused on answering Adrian's question.

"Charlize's  making us put in some crazy hours so the movie can come out in time. Apparently some of the old stuff we shot wasn't good enough, so we had to re-shoot some scenes."

To her surprise, the ball went right into the hole. She stared at it in surprise. "Huh."

Adrian's jaw just hung open. Then he  recovered. "Lucky shot."

"You're so good for my self-esteem," Lauren  commented, following her supposed best friend to the next hole.

Adrian laughed. "Like you need anymore admiration. Although, it's kind of fun to boast about you to people. 'Did you know my best friend was just named one of the hottest people under twenty-five?' Of course they don't believe me ..." He shrugged, and prepared to take his shot.

He frowned deeply when he missed.

"What the hell?"

Lauren laughed at him. "Serves you right for being such a cocky bastard." She shook her head. "Anyway, I'm glad that the movie's going to be over soon. I get about a month of freedom before Guardian starts shooting again."

"Oh, I bet you're excited about that." Adrian asked, trying his shot again.
She snickered as he missed for the second time. "Need some help?" she asked innocently.