Chapter 18

"Oh wow."

Dinah glanced away from the televisions set. "News from your dad?"

Camila looked away from Laura's  email and shook her head. "No, um, this girl I've been emailing with for a few weeks. She's gay."

"What else is new?" Dinah said with a shrug, her attention back on the TV. "It's like this wellkept secret that's slowly seeping out to the masses. Like a tidal wave. A big gay tidal wave, ready to convert anything in its path."

Camila laughed at her roommate's comment.

"Right," she replied, turning back to the computer. How strange that she'd spent twenty years of her life not knowing a single gay person and all of a sudden, they were everywhere.

"Guess that pretty much evens out my range of friends."

"You need a bisexual now," Dinah commented. "You've got the hot gay boy, the mysterious cyber lesbian, and the straight girl. Still missing one."

"Want to be bi?" Camila offered.

Dinah considered. "You know, I would be, but I think my character works best as a straight girl, don't you think?"

"This being the Brooklyn straight girl with the Southern accent?"

Dinah grinned. "I'm changing my name to Mary Sue. Or Billie Jo."

Camila laughed. "You need some serious therapy." Returning to the matter at hand, she hit reply.

Dear Laura,

I'm glad to know that my secret is safe with you. And thank you for your revelation. I admit it wasn't one I was expecting, but I feel honored that you would reveal something that you've only told one other person.

My step-brother just came out a few weeks ago. The family didn't take it well. They've pretty much disowned him. The last time I went to my parents' apartment, they'd taken down all of the pictures he was in. I wish they would understand, but religion has deep roots in my culture. It's pretty much a lost cause.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent. I'll rephrase my original question. What do you look for in a girl?

I got my essay back on Friday. The one on Shakespeare. I got a C. Thankfully, it was the last one of the semester. Finals are coming up soon. And no more English classes for me!

But I would've loved your help had I met you sooner. I would've liked a B on that paper.

Oh well.

So, Miss Poet, what is your favorite poem?

Your friend,

Camila

————

"I wonder what she looks like," Camila said thoughtfully, staring off toward nowhere in particular. She was parked at her usual spot in the shade, her artwork proudly on display. So far no one had stopped to buy anything, but that was okay. It was early yet.

Dinah let out a long yawn and stretched.

"Who?" she asked finally, absently flipping through the pages of her magazine.

Camila watched this display for a moment, then shook her head.

"Laura," she finally replied, looking away. She stared at a blindfolded guy juggling cans of soda for a couple of seconds, before returning her gaze to Dinah.

"The girl in California."

"Ask her for a picture," Dinah suggested.

"How did you meet this chick, anyway? You'd never mentioned her before."