Chapter 17

Adrian ran a hand through his dark hair in frustration. "Can we leave now?" he asked for the umpteenth time since they'd arrived.

Lauren simply grinned, walking over to look at another picture. "Where's your sense of culture, Adrian?" she asked.

She motioned to a painting of an undecipherable nature. "I mean, art is ..."

She searched for the right adjective.

"Incredibly boring," Adrian finished for her. "Why are we here, anyway? I thought we were going to see a movie."

Lauren shook her head, disappointed by her best friend's attitude. "We can see a movie later. That's all we do, anyway. Watch movies, make movies. I mean, we need to expand our view point." She moved on.

Adrian trailed behind her. "I think the fame is finally starting to gnaw at your senses. After you finish filming Guardian, I think we should get away. Far away."

Lauren perked up as she turned. "I couldn't agree with you more."

"Now see, that's what I like to hear," Adrian replied with an easy smile. "Where do you want to go? Egypt? Greece?"

"New York!" Lauren responded quickly.

Adrian blinked a few times. "But we were just in New York."

Lauren considered. "But there's so much to do!" she argued. "Museums to visit ... parks to walk through ..."

People to stalk. She frowned at the thought. I'm losing it. Still frowning, she started walking by several displays.

"She's lost it," Adrian muttered, jogging to catch up. "Laur, is there something going on? Something you want to talk about perhaps?"

Lauren shook her head. "No, let's go catch that movie," she answered, heading toward the exit. What had possessed her to visit a museum, anyway? She instantly recalled Camila's email about going to a museum that day. Well it's not like I'm gonna run into her here. What the hell is wrong with me? "What do you want to see?" she asked, once they'd reached her car.

Adrian stared into Lauren's green eyes with a mixture of curiosity and utter confusion. She was acting strangely. Something was up.

"Whatever," he replied casually, getting into the passenger side of the Rav4. "So, what's been going on with you the past couple of weeks?"

Lauren shrugged nonchalantly. She started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot, not entirely sure where to go. She figured she'd stop at the first movie theater she saw.

"Nothing. Acting, eating, sleeping. The usual. How's the movie coming along?"

"Excellent," he replied, excitedly. "I really feel I have a chance of winning at Sundance."

Lauren smiled over at him. "That's great, Adrian. I can't wait to see it."

Adrian nodded, pleased with himself. Someday he would be right up there with Lauren picking up an Academy Award.

And if he wasn't, well hell, at least she was rising to the top.

"So anything else going on?" he asked.

"Well, I've been emailing with this person," she answered, her eyes focused on the road. She was hesitant about bringing up the subject, if only because she knew that Adrian would make a big deal about it. But keeping it secret made it seem like even more of a big deal, and it wasn't.

Now we're getting somewhere, thought Adrian.

"And does 'this person' have a name?" he asked. Lauren glanced at him quickly and smiled. "Her name is Camila ," she told him.