Chapter 47

"For the next three days," Normani Kordei began, glancing down quickly at the clipboard in her hand, "we're going to film some of the 2002 scenes. So, Katherine and Lucas, plan on being early and working late. Friday I'm leaving for an important meeting in California, so you all get the day off. Monday morning we'll start with the 1920's scenes. So, Lauren , Dinah , Maya, Timothée, Joe and Elle, you're free until then."

The director paused to glance around the table. "Questions?" When nobody responded, she continued. "Lauren and Elle," she waited until the two actresses were looking at her, "we're going to lay off the more ... intense ... scenes until the end. It'll give you two a chance to get to know each other better. We'll start you off slow." She glanced at Dinah . "The three of you—" She motioned to Dinah , Lauren and Elle Fanning. "—are going to be working very closely. So, I hope you can work on building some kind of relationship off camera as well as on."

Lauren glanced over at Dinah , who looked about to pass out. They hadn't gotten a chance to talk all morning, but the way Dinah kept avoiding Lauren's gaze was a good indication that Dinah at least remembered the previous night's occurrences.

Lauren turned her attention back to Normani . She was annoyed that she'd dragged herself over to the set only to sit through a boring lecture. The director could've told her as much over the phone.

Mostly, she was annoyed that she'd gotten no sleep ... again. It was her own fault, of course. But that fact didn't make her any less grumpy. She planned on going home and falling asleep until the following Monday.

When Normani finished speaking, she freed everyone but Lauren , Dinah , and the two main actors filming that day. "Can I have a word with you two," the director asked, meaning Lauren and Dinah .

Lauren wondered if she'd gotten in trouble already. She couldn't have done anything wrong just sitting there. "Sure," she replied, and followed the director away from the rest of the cast. Dinah trailed behind her. "Do we have to stay for detention?" Lauren asked, once they were out of earshot.

Normani smiled widely and shook her head. Short black strands fell into her eyes and she pushed them away mechanically. "Just wanted to make sure the two of you were okay," she said. "You look ... beat."

"Rough night."

"Couldn't sleep."

Both answers flew out at the same time, and Normani nodded. "Well, I just hope you manage to get a good night's sleep for Monday. We're going to start with a scene between the two of you. Page forty-two. Work on it." She patted Lauren on the arm, nodded at Dinah , and headed off to work.

Lauren regarded Dinah awkwardly. Finally, she asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Like a truck ran me over," Dinah replied, groaning slightly. "Over and over again." She yawned. "I'm exhausted and we haven't even started anything yet."

Lauren nodded sympathetically. "You'll be okay," she said. "Sleep and some coffee and you'll be good as new."

Dinah agreed. She was partial to the coffee idea, though. She looked around for a moment, and then locked her gaze with Lauren's . "Thanks for helping me out last night, and keeping Mila company."

"It was my pleasure," Lauren replied, trying not to sound too enthusiastic. Secretly, Lauren was overjoyed that she'd gotten to spend so much time with Camila . But there was no way she could explain that to Dinah without arousing suspicion. So, she remained silent.

Dinah ran a hand through her hair and bit her bottom lip nervously. She looked as if she wanted to say something, so Lauren waited. Finally, Dinah said, "This might sound really dorky, but I'm a film virgin, so ... uh, would you like to get together some time before Monday and go over some of our scenes? I'm having trouble with the pacing and I really don't want to look like a total fool in front of everyone..."