Chapter 3 : The Car

Jane was deeply lost in her dream. She was holding a hand, a girl's hand, and they were walking together in a long park. Then the girl stopped walking and moved in front of her to smile to her. She didn't know this girl, but she didn't care. She was feeling good. The girl leaned to Jane, lips forward, about to kiss her but...

Jane started and took support on her hands before turning and seeing her sister on her bed.

- "Wh-what are you doing here?" Jane asked with a sleepy voice.

- "I wanted to be sure you would wake up," Constance answered.

- "So, you watched me sleep? That's...creepy, don't do that again."

- "At least you're awake."

- "My alarm clock is supposed to ring in ten minutes!"

- "I didn't wake you up! You did it alone!" the blonde sister stated.

- "Your presence woke me up," Jane grumbled in her pillow.

- "If you're not awake in ten minutes, I come back."

- "Get out of my room."

Constance chuckled before leaving the bedroom. Jane sighed a long moment with her mouth, not ready for another day at school. But she didn't have the choice. At least, she could take a shower this time. She took black jeans and a red tee-shirt with written "Sex Pistols" on it and went to her bathroom to take care of herself. Once her hair back and her clothes on, Jane went to the living-room, where the older sister was reading the mails. Jane sat at the table and began to eat toast when she noticed Constance's concerned expression.

- "Is everything okay?"

- "We're almost in the red."

- "What!? How is it possible!?"

- "Dunno. It must be a mistake."

- "I hope!"

Constance tried to reassure her with a smile, but the young woman was sure it wasn't a mistake. She wasn't understanding how it was possible to be in red while she was working and her father was working too. They shouldn't have problems with court bailiffs. Where were going all their savings!? It wasn't making sense. Constance rubbed her tired eyes before throwing the paper with the others. She didn't want Jane to worry about that, she had enough to do with her health, school, work, and grief.

- "We still have my savings from my ear," Jane said.

- "No, it's for your future. Keep it for yourself, don't worry, we'll make it. I can find another job."

- "Please, you're already tired, you won't have enough energy to do another job."

- "We don't have the choice! It's this or we become homeless!"

- "Maybe dad forgot to pay the rent."

- "I hope it's that."

Jane really hoped she was right, because if it wasn't that, they were screwed. Jane heard her bus arrive. She jumped from her chair, kissed her sister's cheek, grabbed her bag, and ran to her bus. This time, she didn't miss it. She went inside the yellow vehicle and walked a bit between the seats before sitting next to a black-haired skinny white boy she knew well.

- "Hey Mike, how are you?"

- "Good and you?" the boy smiled.

- "Good, good."

- "You're not late today!"

- "Yeah, I woke up on time!"

- "I see. Too bad, you were catching up with Max," Mike said.