Chapter 4 : The Headmaster's Office

Jane struggled to sleep the next weeks. Everything was stressing her, keeping her mind full of thoughts, even when she just wanted to turn off her brain. The teachers were not lying when they said they would have lots of works to do; Jane had two presentations to prepare, an essay, and four tests before Halloween. She would never have the time to do all of these. And she was so tired. Sometimes she couldn't remember what she did just a few minutes before because she was sleeping with her eyes opened. Joyce seemed more worried for her; she thought she would collapse at any moment. But Jane was stronger than what they thought, she wasn't the kind to fall asleep like that, she had a good control of her body.

- "BROWN!"

Jane brutally started and sat up straight of surprise. She looked around to see her classmates watching her with round eyes. Beverly, who was in front of her, removed the paper stuck on her friend's cheek and quickly brushed her hair.

- "I would have let you sleep if you weren't snoring," the teacher told with an upset tone.

- "Uh...sorry," Jane mumbled with a shaking voice.

- "You know where the headmaster's office is, right?"

Jane looked at Bev with a dazed face before putting her school stuff in her bag and standing under the mocking eyes of the other teens.

- "Miss Marsh, go with her to be sure she won't fall asleep in the halls."

The redhead nodded before standing and following Jane out of the classroom. The two girls walked a little bit in silent. Jane was wondering how it happened while Bev was worried about her.

- "You didn't sleep last night?" Beverly asked shyly.

- "I...Not that much," Jane answered with a frown. "Did I snore?"

- "It wasn't loud, he exaggerated to embarrass you. I thought it was cute."

- "I'm sorry..."

- "Don't be, anyone would have fallen asleep in his class," the redhead joked. "What's happening?"

- "Nothing, it's fine, it's...temporary."

- "You've been out for weeks now, even this summer you were not completely here. I thought it was because of...you know, but I can see there is something else. Talk to me, Jane, you can't stay like that."

The brunette had so much in her mind. She was struggling with school, her job, her sexuality, her tiredness, her money, and her mourning; it was too much for her. But she didn't want her friends to worry about her, they had enough with their own lives.

- "I just...I don't feel okay, lately," Jane told.

- "Why?"

- "I don't know...There are too many things, it's giving me a permanent headache...I just need to think, I'm just...I feel empty."

- "Oh no, Jane..."

Beverly took her friend in her arms to comfort her.

- "I'm sorry to hear that...If you need to talk, you know you can come to me, right?"

- "Yeah, yeah, I know."

- "You're strong. (breaks the hug) Don't give up, okay? You will be okay; you will be fine."

Jane just shrugged. She didn't know if she would be okay, but hearing her friend telling her that was making her feel a little bit better. The redhead wrapped her arms around Jane's left arm and kept walking with her friend in direction of the headmaster's office. The two friends had the surprise to see Max sitting on a chair. The three friends frowned.