Chapter 16 : Revelations

The cold woke Jane up. She tried to wrap herself in the blanket, but the piece of fabric was too small for her long legs. She turned to the window and saw her sister standing over there, touching a bit everywhere.

- "What are you doing?" Jane asked with a hoarse voice.

Constance started and turned to Jane with her hand on the level of her heart.

- "You scared me!"

- "Don't do creepy thing to the window next time!"

- "I was trying to see why it was freezing," Constance explained.

- "Did you find it?"

- "Yes, the insulation sucks! We're gonna die in this room!"

- "I agree."

Constance sighed loudly with her mouth before searching their bags and holding out a sweater to her sister. The two girls put some clothes on and tried to fall asleep. But all this situation was keeping them awake. If it was because of the city crisis, they would accept it, but knowing that it was because of their father's problem was getting on their nerves.

The awakening was hard, and the alarm clock wasn't welcomed here. Constance brutally hit it and loudly grumbled which annoyed her sister who was in the same mood as her. The blonde teen took some clothes and got out of the room to take her shower. Jane got out of her bed, her eyes still closed, not wanting to begin this new week at school. Once ready, the two girls left the apartment while their father was still asleep on the couch. Constance took off two cereal bars from her bag and gave one to Jane. When they arrived downstairs, they separated to join their bus stops. But Jane didn't stay alone for a long time. Her friend Lucas was waiting for her in front of the basket-ball field.

- "How is my new neighbor?" the boy asked with a smile.

- "Asleep."

- "I see. Hard night?"

- "It was cold. The air goes through our window. We'll become Mr. Freeze soon."

- "Cool," Lucas chuckled.

The two friends walked to their bus stop, not far from Lucas's house, but Jane could feel his look on her, and he was abnormally quiet.

- "Okay, what's the problem?" she asked.

- "Will told me that you passed out Saturday, at work."

- "Damn, Joyce can't hold her tongue!"

- "She is worried about you! And so am I!"

- "There is nothing to worry about, I was in hypoglycemia, that's all!"

- "It could have been really bad; you could have hit the angle of a shelf and die! You're lucky that Joyce saw you were not feeling okay!"

- "That's why I walked in her direction!"

Jane looked away, angry by this. Joyce didn't have to talk about this to Will, now everyone would see her as the weak and sick little girl she was. 

Lucas changed the subject and began to talk about the date he had with Gabrielle the day before. Jane was happy for her friend, he looked very happy about it, he couldn't stop smiling and laughing when he was talking about her. They looked cute together. And seeing two people being in love was giving some hope to Jane, wishing she could live the same thing.

When Lucas and Jane arrived in front of the building, Beverly quickly joined them. She took them in her arms to salute them. While the redhead was talking, Jane got her attention caught by two people. Max was with Gary a bit farther, on the right of the building, holding hands and laughing. Jane began to boil inside, she hated seeing them together like that, especially because Max said it wasn't serious between them, but it seemed to be more serious than she wanted to admit. Lucas saw Gabrielle so he left them to join her. Beverly noticed Jane's upset expression, so she looked where Jane was looking and understood quickly.