Chapter 29 : The Winter Dance

It was the night of the Winter dance and Max was trying different outfits for tonight. She wasn't a big fan of wearing something special for a dance in school, but she wanted to look great for Jane, because Jane was always looking great. But now, she was struggling. She didn't want to wear a dress, not feeling comfy in it, but she had nothing else to wear. She got cut in her thoughts by knocks at her door.

- "Come in!" she said, looking in the mirror.

The door opened and Will appeared with clothes in his arms.

- "Hey, I thought you could need some help as you didn't have time to do some shopping for tonight," the boy said, putting the clothes on her bed.

- "Will, you are my hero!"

- "I know!"

The two friends began to search in the clothes. Max tried different shirts with different jackets and finally chose a magenta shirt with a black tuxedo jacket, black jeans, and her normal shoes.

- "What do you think?" the redhead asked.

- "You look really great."

- "You say that because you're a nice boy or because you mean it?"

- "I mean it! You really look great!" Will affirmed.

- "I hope Jane will like it."

- "Max, you would go to that dance with a sportswear, she would love it anyway."

- "Yeah, that's more than true," Max smiled. "Now, let's take care of your hair."

- "My hair? What's wrong with my hair?"

- "Come on, Will, you barely brushed them!"

The boy wide opened his eyes which made laugh his friend. They went to the bathroom, and Will let Max take care of his hair, even if he was a bit worried. He wasn't sure Max knew what she was doing, but she seemed to have fun, so why not.

Joyce came back with Chester, their dog, and found the two teens in the bathroom, Will grumbling and Max trying to do something with his hair. The mother stayed at the door and looked at the two teens with an amused smile.

- "Mom, do something! She is ruining my hair!"

- "I'm not! But if you don't stop moving, I'll ruin your hair, deliberately."

- "You are looking great, Will. Don't worry," Joyce said.

- "I hope, because I can't feel my head anymore! You are as soft as a knife!"

- "Don't be stupid, Jane never complained!" Max replied.

- "No, of course not, because when you are with Jane, you are soft for real, not like with my hair!"

- "You can be my girlfriend if you want!"

- "Haha."

Max chuckled before going softer with his hair. A few minutes later, the two teens were finally ready. Joyce took some pictures of them before hugging them, feeling proud. Once this over, Joyce, Will, and Max left the apartment to go in direction of their High School. When they arrived, Jane was already there with Lucas, Troy, and...Abigail!? Will and Max were both surprised, but they thought it was probably because Troy was there. They tried to act like if it was normal. Plus, Max couldn't hold her smile when she saw Jane. She could have bet on her outfit. Jane was wearing her shirt with tiny guitars as a pattern, her leather jacket, blue jeans, and black boots, with a messy ponytail. Will and Max joined them and saluted them, even Abigail.

- "Why is she here?" Max murmured.

- "She is Troy's date," Jane answered.

- "Really? I thought he wasn't in love with her!"