Chapter 23 : Experiment

The next day, when Jane arrived near her locker, she couldn't hold the smile on her face. When she met Max's eyes, she noticed that the redhead was smiling too. Jane still didn't know if it was something serious or not, but it was still more than one week ago, and for now she was okay with that. Max gave a small caress on Jane's cheek before saying:

- "You're blushing."

- "Oh, um, yeah...I think I'll blush 'til my death."

- "That's cute," Max smiled.

Max wasn't regretting one second kissing Jane the day before; she was feeling so good since yesterday, she knew it was the right thing to do. The two girls were joined by Beverly who offered Max to go smoking with her. The two redheads walked away, so Jane decided to join Troy who was at his locker. The boy was, as usual, very happy to see her.

- "Hey, Jane, how are you?" he asked with a wide smile.

- "Good, good," she smiled.

- "Yeah, you look good! What happened?"

- "Oh, uh, nothing...How do you know if someone loves you?"

Troy stopped what he was doing before turning to her.

- "Okay, I need details."

- "Well, someone kissed me yesterday—"

- "A girl?"

- "Of course, but...I don't know what to think about it."

- "Don't press things, but maybe you should talk to her about that, maybe she is wondering the same thing."

- "Yeah, you're probably right."

- "I am right."

- "Whatever," she chuckled. "I found another job by the way."

- "What!? I thought you were supposed to take some rest!"

- "It's just babysitting. My neighbor couldn't find someone to keep her daughter, I offered my service as I live just next door. It won't ruin my health, and Emily is a very nice girl."

- "Oh, great, it seems to be a good way to win money without tiring you too much. I'm happy for you," he smiled. "Um, you won't tell me who this girl was, right?"

- "Of course not."

Troy pinched his lips together which amused his best friend. 

Outside the building, Max and Beverly were sitting on a low wall, cigarettes between their lips, and smoke going through their nostrils. Beverly was looking at Max. Her friend seemed daydreaming; she had a satisfied smile on her face, and her cheeks were pink.

- "Why are you smiling so much?" Beverly finally asked.

- "I kissed her," Max said.

- "What!? You kissed...you kissed Jane!?"

- "Yep."

- "Finally! How was it? Oh wait, you don't have to answer, your stupid smile says it all."

- "Shut up," Max chuckled. "I feel stupid for not doing it before."

- "I don't think she would have been ready. Sometimes waiting is the best way to do things."

- "Yeah."

- "No, for real. How was it?" Beverly smiled.

- "It was...it was really great."

- "That's all?"

- "No," Max chuckled. "It was like if, for the first time, I knew exactly what I was doing, I was sure of my decision. I was just...feeling safe."

Beverly couldn't hold her smile. It wasn't a mocking smile; it was a happy smile. She was really happy for her friend, Max never had an easy life, and knowing that she was feeling safe with someone was relieving her. She grabbed her knee and squeezed it to show her how happy she was for her. Jane and Max would look cute together.