Chapter 22 : Kiss

The day was ending. Mike and Jane just had their music class, and now they were enjoying the instruments of music. Ms. Jenkins, their teacher, was trusting them enough to let them alone. Since Jane sold her two guitars, this moment was the only moment where she could play them. And Mike was teaching her how to play drums too. It was a great moment, it helped her to empty her mind, to think of something else, and to help her unwind. For a moment, she forgot that life was shitty for everyone. 

After an hour, the two friends decided to stop, especially because Jane was beginning to feel weak with a pain in her chest. They went to their tables to gather their stuff.

- "Lucas didn't show up today," Mike stated.

- "I can't blame him. He must be terrified. In one week, he got beaten up and shot just because he was black. I wouldn't come back here too."

- "Yeah, that sucks. I'll visit him tomorrow, to give him the homework but especially to see how he is."

- "Yeah, I think he will be happy to see you," Jane said.

- "I'm sorry, I didn't even ask you. How are you about that?"

Jane shrugged.

- "I'm strangely fine. I don't know why. Someone shot in my direction and...I don't know. Is it weird?"

- "I can't tell you. Maybe you should talk to a professional about that. Just in case."

- "Nah, I'm good. There are people who need them, I'm not one of them."

- "If you say so. Have you talked to Max today? What happened to her face?"

- "Um, Neil!"

- "You think he beats her?"

- "Of course, he does! She got expelled for the week. The small dick he is couldn't miss such an opportunity to overcome his complex of inferiority!" Jane stated with anger.

- "I wish we could do something for her."

- "She won't let us do anyway."

- "Why?"

- "I don't know!"

Mike had a sad pout and looked down like if he was responsible of Max's shitty life. At the same moment, the redhead appeared at the door and lightly knocked at it to get their attention. Jane had an upset look at her before continuing gathering her stuff like if she wasn't here.

- "Hey, Max. How are you?" Mike asked.

- "Good. You don't mind if I talk to Jane privately?"

- "No, of course not, we were about to leave. See you tomorrow."

The boy smiled to them before leaving the room. The two girls were now alone in the music classroom. Max smiled to Jane, but Jane was still upset and ignored her. Max felt bad, she knew why Jane was mad at her, and she couldn't blame her for that.

- "So, what do you wanna tell me!? I have other things to do!" Jane replied.

- "Like what?"

- "Like dying in my bed!"

- "Right. But you can die a little later no?"

- "Be quick. And don't lie this time."

- "Can you stop saying that!? You really think I'm enjoying my situation right now!? That I lie for fun!? You know no shit about the real situation, Jane! And I would really want you to stop judging me for not telling you everything! I just need to hold one year, one fucking year, and then I'll leave for a better life, but if you keep blaming me, I won't be able to make it."

Jane clenched her jaw and looked down, feeling a bit ashamed for not supporting Max while she needed it. Max saw that Jane was feeling bad for this, but it wasn't the goal. She was very bad when she had to communicate with people. She slowly approached Jane who clumsily stepped back and hit the desk behind her. Max placed her hands on Jane's waist and couldn't hold her smile when she saw the blush growing on the Jane's cheeks.

- "You came here to tell me something or just to yell at me?" Jane shyly asked.

- "I wanted to apologize for last time, I've been rude."

- "Yeah, me too. I actually wanted to walk with you."

- "And I would have loved to."

Jane had a small amused smile. Max got closer to her, her hands still on Jane's waist, and placed her forehead against Jane's. Jane felt her heart racing so much that she was sure Max could hear it. Being so close to her was hard to handle. She was feeling lots of things inside her. Pleasant things. Max got even closer to her, caressing Jane's nose with hers. She was amused to see Jane completely tensed. Jane was holding tight the desk with her hands, so Max decided to move hers on Jane's to relax her.

- "Are you stressing?" Max whispered.

- "Um...I, I don't know..."

- "If you want me to go away, you just need to tell me."

- "What if I don't want you to go away?"

- "Then, there is nothing to worry about."

Max grabbed Jane's hands and moved them on her own waist before placing hers on Jane's neck. Jane was a bit uncomfortable; she didn't know if all of this was real or not, dreams never happened in real life! But Max already showed that she got some interest for her when she cuddled her the way she did in her room. Maybe it wasn't a dream.

Max began to caress Jane's ears before leaning to her. When she placed her lips on hers, she felt like if she was finally free. She had spent the last years living like Neil wanted, forgetting her own desires, but she was tired to wait, she didn't want to take the risk to miss her opportunity with the girl she fell in love with. Screw Neil, she had the right to be happy. She was so sure of herself that she began to travel her hands in Jane's hair, wanting to feel every part of her.

Jane couldn't believe it, maybe not everything was bad in this world. The butterflies in her belly were lost in a harmonic dance, warming inside her. She couldn't hold her smile, and she was less tensed than when she kissed Clara. She managed to relax her hands and to caress Max's waist with her thumbs, giving the redhead goosebumps.

Max was the one who broke the kiss, with difficulties. She wished she could have spent the rest of the night like that, but they were in a classroom, Ms. Jenkins could reappear at any moment.

- "You wanna walk with me this time?" Max asked, biting her bottom lip.

- "Of course, I've nothing better to do," Jane smiled.

Max grabbed Jane's hand and intertwined her fingers with hers. The two girls left the school together, holding each other's hands, with the biggest smile they had never worn.