Chapter 24 : Babysitting

Constance was working so much that Jane didn't remember when the last time where they were just both of them was. It was why they decided to go buy their fast food together. Today, the blonde teen and their father were not working before afternoon, meaning it was a family meal. Jane wasn't very thrilled to eat with her father, especially because it was Constance who was paying the meal, but she tried to avoid being alone with him; she couldn't stand his presence anymore. Once the food bought, the two girls went back to their apartment. When they entered, their father, who was sitting on the couch, quickly hung up his phone.

- "Who was it?" Constance asked, closing the door with her foot.

- "Just a friend," Axel answered with a weak smile.

The two sisters looked at each other, not duped, but didn't say anything. They knew he was lying, but they were not expecting anything from him anymore. The two girls sat on the couch and began to eat their burgers with their father. The meal was quiet. Axel was focused on the small TV, watching a baseball match while Jane and Constance were doing everything to not explode of anger. Luckily, he found a work last week as a cleaner in a big company. It was better than nothing, but they would have preferred him to find this job before he decided to play poker, they wouldn't be in this situation. When they finished, the two girls went to their bedroom to talk privately.

- "I'm sure it was the bank," Jane stated.

- "I don't know. I hope he is not playing poker again and that it wasn't some guys he owes money to!"

- "Yeah. But it was definitely not a friend."

- "He won't tell us anyway. You spend the night at Max's?" Constance asked.

- "Um, yeah, I mean, if it's okay."

- "Of course, it is. I don't sleep here tonight, and at Max's, at least, it's not freezing!"

- "Clearly not," Jane said.

- "Try to have fun. I know it's complicated, but don't forget that life is not just problems, okay?"

- "Yeah, sure, don't worry, we'll have fun."

- "Cool, I'm happy to hear that. See you, have a good day," Constance smiled.

- "You too."

The blonde teen rubbed her sister's hair, which annoyed her, and left the apartment. Jane lied down on her bed, playing Snake on her phone as she had nothing else to do. A few minutes later, Axel went to her bedroom to tell her he was leaving. She didn't stop what she was doing and grumbled to tell him she heard. Once alone, Jane got out of her bed and prepared her bag for the night at Max's. She was excited, just the idea of spending more time with her was making race her heart. When she finished with this, she went to her living-room and prepared a pile of DVDs. Well, she had only three DVDs, but it was better than nothing. A few seconds after, someone knocked at the door. Jane stood and opened it.

- "Hi, Jane," a young woman with long messy hair smiled.

- "Hi, Ms. Patterson," Jane answered.

- "Thank you again for babysitting Emily, I don't know how to thank you!"

- "You're paying me for this, and Emily is a nice girl, I'm happy to babysit her."

- "Great."

The woman crouched to say goodbye to her daughter before leaving Jane with Emily. Jane invited the baby blonde girl to come inside before closing the door. After some homework and other activities, Jane and Emily were sitting on the couch, watching Frozen for the third times on the laptop that Ms. Patterson lent her. Someone knocked at the door. Jane stood and opened it.