Chapter 41 : Skatepark

The weather was cold, but the friends still decided to meet at the skatepark, as it was planned. As Max still didn't have a skateboard, Lucas was sharing his with her. The redhead was in the bowl, doing tricks with Mike, while Lucas was sitting on a rail with Will. After a few minutes, Jane arrived with Beverly and Dustin. The curly-haired boy dyed his hair in green, which made laugh all of them.

- "Ridiculous," Lucas stated with a smile.

Dustin winced, making laugh him more. When Max saw her girlfriend, she stopped skateboarding, gave the board to Lucas who went to the bowl with Mike and Dustin, and went to Jane, Will, and Bev.

- "Hey," Max smiled.

- "Hi," Jane answered.

- "I'm glad you came."

- "Yeah, well, I actually have something for you."

- "Really?" Max blushed.

Jane opened the plastic bag she was holding and took off a new skateboard. Max couldn't believe it, it was the skateboard she had spent months watching in the store she was going before coming back to her former home, it was the Nimbus 2000 of skateboards, as she liked to call it.

- "Jane! It's too much!"

- "It's not, don't worry. Just take it."

Max cautiously took it in her hands and looked at the beautiful piece of wood in her hands.

- "I, I don't know what to say! Thank you! A lot!"

- "Just enjoy it, that's all I want," Jane said.

The redhead widely smiled before kissing her girlfriend and jumping in the bowl with her new skateboard. Beverly and Will looked at each other with the same surprised frown before looking at Jane who didn't seem happy at all, she was more like sad.

- "I thought you were saving for your next surgery for your heart?" Bev said.

Jane shrugged.

- "Jane?"

- "The surgery would be useless. I prefer using my money to make her happy while I can."

- "Jane—"

- "I'm dying, Bev. It's like that. I won't finish the year, I know it."

- "Don't say that!"

- "The skatepark is not far from my apartment, but we stopped five time because I was exhausted, I'm not stupid, I know what it means."

As Jane was feeling her legs shaking again, she sat next to Will on the rail. The boy and Bev both shared a worried and sad expression, not ready to see their friend dying. Bev remembered when she met Jane, the brunette was still fighting her Leukemia, but she had never lost hope like she did today. But she couldn't blame her, Jane was strong, but she was tired too, this year had been overwhelming for her, and it didn't seem to have a happy end for her. The redhead sat next to her friend and wrapped her arms around her friend, wanting Jane to know how important she was for her. Jane didn't look at her, she knew she wouldn't be able to hold her tears.

After the skatepark, the friends ate together at a diner before separating. Jane offered Max to spend the rest of the day at her place, which she accepted. Once the door of the apartment opened, the two girls were welcomed by a kitty cat going in their direction.

- "Aw! It's so cute!" Max stated.

- "He is a male, and his name is Cat."

- "Hi Cat, you're so cute!"

- "Yeah, but he pees everywhere!"

- "You know, you used to pee everywhere too!"

Jane looked at her with her eyebrows raised, surprised, while Max was chuckling, proud of her remark. The redhead leaned and took the kitty cat in her arms before going on the couch, joined by her girlfriend.