Chapter 43 : Tuxedo

Max, Will, Joyce, Constance, and Robin were sitting in the waiting room of the hospital. All of them were quiet, angry or crying or both. After a few minutes of waiting, a doctor arrived in the waiting room and went to them. They all stood, not knowing if they were ready to hear him or not.

- "She had another heart attack. We managed to make her heart beat again, but we had to intubate her and to put a ventricular assist. Her heart is too weak to feed the other organs, especially her lungs."

- "What does that mean?" Constance asked.

- "She needs a new heart; she won't wake up until she has one."

- "The machines are keeping her alive, right?"

- "Yes. For now."

The five people felt hit by an arrow. "For now", it meant that she could just stop living at any moment. The doctor let them with a nurse who guided them to Jane's room. They had a cold shiver when they saw Jane, laid down on the bed, a massive tube getting out of her mouth connected to a machine. But the worse part was her closed eyes, knowing that the chances to see them opened again were close to zero.

They all entered quietly. Robin stayed behind, to give space to people who were very close to her.

Constance didn't say anything, she barely reacted. She just walked inside and sat on an armchair next to the bed. She was boiling inside, but her eyes were empty of tears.

Max wasn't empty of tears, since she entered this room, her eyes didn't stop crying, same for Will. The boy was so overwhelmed that he preferred leaving the room. Joyce followed him to keep an eye on him. She grabbed his arm to stop him.

- "I can't do it, I'm sorry," he sobbed. "I can't just look at her dying without thinking this is unfair, that it should have never happened!"

Joyce put her hands on his cheeks to make him calm down.

- "I agree with you, all of this is unfair, and you have nothing to apologize for. You have all the right to not be able to look at your friend in a such situation. It's too early, everything happened quickly. It's scary and stressing, I know that. Take your time, okay?"

Will nodded. Joyce opened her arms and hugged him tight while he was crying on her shoulder. Joyce couldn't be more grateful to have the luck to be able to take her son in her arms. She wished she could take Jane too in her arms right now.

In the room, the silence was still reigning. Constance was still sitting on the armchair, unable to think. Max managed to approach the bed and to sit on it. She hated seeing Jane like that, the brunette had no idea that there were people around her, crying for her, and praying that she would survive this. She stopped crying, probably empty now. She wanted to talk to Jane, but she didn't want Robin and Constance to hear it too, it was something she wanted to keep for Jane and only Jane.

A few minutes later, Constance couldn't stand the silent. The blonde teen brutally stood, took her bag, and quickly left the room. Robin, worried, stood too and followed her in the halls.

- "Where are you going!?" Robin asked.

- "Somewhere else!" Constance angrily answered.

- "Wait!"

Robin grabbed her arm to stop her, but Constance brutally freed herself before pushing her away.

- "Don't fucking touch me! I could have saved her, but you told me not to because she wouldn't be okay! This is all your fault! She could have had a chance, but you deprived her of this chance! Now look at her! She is the last family I had!"

- "Const—"

- "NO! I don't wanna hear you!"

Constance angrily looked at her, Robin holding her tears, before leaving the hospital with a quick walk.