Chapter 38 : Another Hard Moment

The two girls had spent a few hours at the hospital, waiting for news. The doctors didn't manage to save him. Constance began to be angry while Jane was feeling guilty. She had kept blaming him for everything for months, she certainly pushed him over the edge without knowing it. But she had all the reasons to be mad at him, she couldn't blame herself for being mad at her father who preferred letting her die than paying a surgery, right!? But she was, and she hated that. The police investigation was quick, it was a suicide, nothing else. Hopper went to the hospital to see Jane and Constance. He offered them a ride. They were not very enthusiast, but it was better than the bus.

The ride was quiet. The two girls were still not realizing what happened the day before. Hopper let them in front of their building. He told them to call him if they needed something before driving away. They went upstairs and froze when they saw their door. Jane tried to face her fear by unlocking the door, but when she put her hand on the doorknob, she stopped moving. She could still see him hanging at the kitchen door, his face pale and swollen, and his body empty.

They were interrupted by Melissa and Mallory going downstairs. The two girls stopped when they saw the sisters.

- "Hey," Melissa said with a gentle tone. "How are you?"

Jane looked at Constance before shrugging.

- "Do you need help?" Mallory asked.

Jane loudly gulped before nodding. The blonde girl approached her and stopped next to her before placing her hand on Jane's. Jane didn't realize that she was holding very tight the doorknob, so tight that her hand was red. She let it go. Mallory gently made her step back while Melissa opened the door. Jane and Constance felt their hearts stopping, too scared to see again their father's dead body.

- "There is no one," Melissa said.

- "We know," Constance answered.

They knew it was empty, but it was stronger than them, something was blocking them from entering. Constance took a deep breathing. Now, she had to take care of Jane, and she had to be strong for her sister. She shook her arms and began to walk inside. She felt a cold shiver travelling her body. Melissa put her hand on the teen's shoulder, startling her. Constance loudly gulped before walking away, trying to not look at the ground, where Mehdi and Mary tried to reanimate him. She sighed with her mouth and went to the window to open it to change the air.

Mallory was still with Jane outside the apartment. Jane saw her sister enter and was envious of all her strength. Mallory was warmly smiling to her, trying to reassure her. The blonde girl softly caressed her cheek before placing her hands on her waist. Jane didn't understand until Mallory began to slowly drag her inside. Jane let her guide her, it seemed easier like that. But as she walked, she was feeling her legs shaking more and more and her heart racing.

- "Just look at me for now, okay?" Mallory said.

Jane made movements with her head just to tell that she heard. She was looking a bit around before finally focusing on the girl in front of her. Now that the two sisters were inside, Melissa closed the door.

- "Look at that, you both made it!" Melissa stated with an encouraging smile.

- "Yeah..." Jane answered weakly. "Thanks."

- "It's fine, you know we're here if you need anything."

Jane nodded. She walked away, her head down, and went to her bedroom before laying down on her bed, her head in direction of the door. Melissa and Mallory understood they had nothing more to do here and preferred leaving to give the two girls some privacy.

A few hours later, someone knocked at the door. Constance, who was in the kitchen, stood to see who it was. When she arrived in the living-room, she got dizzy for a few seconds before continuing her walk. When she opened the door, she saw a redhead she knew well.