Chapter 50 : The Phone Call

She didn't say other words. She listened carefully to the lady on the other side of the phone. As the call progressed, Constance was paling and shaking. She dropped her mobile phone and screamed all the air she had in her lungs of anger and pain before bursting in tears.

She angrily stood, turned the coffee table over, and punched her wall. She just realized what she was about to do, and for nothing. She was hating herself for this. She needed to get rid of this gun right now. She took it, grabbed her bag, and went to a bridge that no one was taking. She threw the gun in the canal and called Robin.

- "You need to pick me up! Now!" Constance ordered.

- "Is everything okay?" Robin asked with a worried tone.

- "Yes! They found a new heart for Jane! They are operating on her now!"

- "I'm on my way."

The two girls hung up. Constance began to run in the streets of Brooklyn. She was feeling so many things inside her that she needed to evacuate them in a way. When she arrived in front of her building, Robin just parked. Constance jumped in the car.

- "Where were you!?" Robin asked.

- "It doesn't matter! Just drive!"

Robin obeyed. She was sure Constance was hiding her something, but it could be the emotion of this good news too. But Constance seemed more preoccupied than happy or relieved.

Meanwhile, at the fifth floor of a building, Max and Will were playing video games while Joyce was at the kitchen table, taking care of bills. The family was enjoying their Saturday together. Joyce would prefer doing other things than her bills, but she was glad to hear Max and Will having fun like that. The family was cut in their day by Joyce's mobile phone ringing. Will and Max stopped their game to be sure Joyce could hear the other person on the phone.

- "Hello?...Yes?...For real!?"

It seemed serious. Will and Max both looked at each other before standing and joining Joyce in the kitchen. The woman quickly stood with her eyes and mouth wide opened. The mother finished her conversation before hanging up the phone.

- "It was Robin. She is with Constance, they just arrived at the hospital. Jane is receiving a new heart," Joyce explained, trying to not scream of happiness.

- "Oh my god, that's amazing!" Max stated.

- "Yes! Pack your stuff, we'll wait with them."

The two teens needed a few seconds to realize what she just said, but when they did, they ran to their room to grab their bags and followed Joyce out of the apartment. The ride was quiet, all of them were too stressed to say a thing. Max's heart was racing, she had waited that moment for months, but now it seemed too beautiful to be real.

When they arrived at the hospital, they saw Constance and Robin in the waiting room. Robin stood and warmly smiled to them to salute them, but Constance stayed on the chair, staring into space, and holding herself like if she was cold. Nobody spoke. Joyce, Max, and Will sat next to them and waited.

- "How long is it supposed to take?" Will asked.

- "Between four and eight hours," Robin answered.

- "It's so long," he sighed.

- "We've waited for two months; we can wait a few hours," Max stated.

- "I know. I can't wait to see her."

- "If she makes it," Constance added with a sharp tone.

- "She will," Max affirmed.

- "Oh yeah!? You're a doctor now!? The surgeons can fail at any moment, and her body can reject the organ!"