Buying Love...

A/N: Nepenthe is a drug described in Homer's "Odyssey" as banishing grief or trouble from a person's mind. -Wikipedia

Narrator's POV

It was cold in the basement of a manor, the covered little cages littering the floor full of even littler people.

Each of the dozen cages held two children, all of said children coming from poor families or orphanages or even from the streets.

Well, all of the children except two.

In the cage farthest from the stairs, in the coldest and darkest corner of the room, was ten year olds Ciel and Astre Phantomhive.

The identical boys were curled up together on the floor in the middle of their cage, the older twin wrapped protectively around his baby brother.

Because of the constant darkness and cold of the cage as well as the irregular feeding and watering schedules, the twins had no idea whether it was day or night or how long they had been here.

The last time they had seen another person, excluding the few seconds where they could see hands or feet walking around or throwing pieces of stale bread and water canteens into their cages, was when they had gotten tagged.

Whoever was holding them here had clipped their ears and left tags on them, marking them like cattle to be sold.

On each of the boy's left ears, there was a small white tag that had bits of dried blood on it that had the price "£40.00" on it.

Rousing the twins out of their fitful rest, was the light of a lantern and the sound of footsteps.

Thinking it was time to be fed, the twins sat up, their bodies as well as their once cute sailor outfits filthy, as they waited for their pieces of stale —sometimes moldy— bread or a canteen of muddy or boiling hot water.

But it was not nourishment they were getting, no, the sheet covering their cage was lifted, revealing two men standing outside the cage —one of which was unsurprisingly the one selling them.

Looking up, the twins —who could only be told apart by Astre's blind right eye— looked up at the man accompanying the seller.

He was tall, easily a head taller than the seller, and he had raven black hair and the most striking crimson eyes that seemed to glow in the darkness.

Judging by the the way he was dressed —his black suit practically a shadow in the darkness with only his red ascot highlighting his clothes— the man was either wealthy, a noble or both.

The seller, a perverted noble, gestured towards the boys, "It's rare to find just one high-born product like them, let alone the two!"

Ciel hugged Astre close, trying his best to protect him, looking fierce even in the state of helplessness.