Glimpse...

Narrator's POV

A few days later, during breakfast, Sebastian was going through the newspapers as his wives ate.

Among the advertisements in the newspaper, the vampire saw one inviting all to come spend the evening at Moulin Rouge Music Hall because famous can-can dancer, La Goulue, would be performing.

The twins read the flyer once he set it down, begging him to take them to see the performance.

The red-eyed man internally sighed: how could he ever say no to such beautiful boys when they asked so nicely.

***

Hours passed and the sun was beginning its descent below the horizon.

As they ride in their carriage, the twins looked out the windows at the city, whispering to each other as they passed the recently built Eiffel Tower —or as the locals called it, La Tour Eiffle— they turned towards the music hall.

Moulin Rouge was the most popular music hall in Paris, so quite a large crowd had assembled so it took awhile for them to get a table for four to watch the performance.

A few minutes after they found a seat, a bar maid approached them —well Sebastian— and asked if they'd like any drinks.

"An Old Fashion on the Rocks for me." Sebastian ordered, "And a Gin Mint Julep for the lady, tea for the girls."

The barmaid left an returned with two alcoholic drinks and two cups of tea.

Sebastian paid three shillings, telling her to keep the change.

Lizzy sipped at her cocktail, glad she was at least respected enough to be treated like an adult...unlike the twins.

Before long, the show began and La Goulue emerged from the backstage curtain.

Some of men —particularly the ones who had a few drinks already— whistled as the dancer walked out.

The woman had strawberry blonde hair tied back in a curled bun, bright pale blue eyes and wore a simple black and pink dress.

La Goulue began her performance, dancing around the stage, her legs lifting so high above her head that her stockings and bloomers were exposed.

As the woman can-can danced, Sebastian was slightly disgusted by it.

It was distasteful to see a woman's undergarments in such a public setting, but seeing that the dance style was known to be scandalous he could not say more than what others had already started.

Personally, he never would have attended such a performance but it was hard to tell the twins 'no'.

Hopefully the twins knew better than to act like the performer, it had been so long since they had misbehaved so he would hate to punish them again after so long.

***

Awhile later, the show ended and it was announced that famous fortune teller, Blavat Sky, had arrived from England.

Nearly everyone in the crowd wanted their fortunes read, so it took nearly a half hour before Lizzy and the twins could even get close.

Eventually, Lizzy got her turn.

"Who might you all be?" The lavender haired man politely greeted

"I'm Cordelia Rathbone." Lizzy lied as Sebastian had instructed upon their arrival in Paris, "And these are my stepdaughters, Arabella and Emmeline."

Her finger was then pricked with a needle and drop of blood fell into his waiting cup.

Blavat looked at the droplet and then up at Lizzy, "You belong to Canopus, which is a star that shines brightly at the Keel of Argo; those protected by it are independent, unique, determined, and fixated on things such as their hobbies, Mrs. Rathbone."

The blonde nodded, "That's true, I take great care in my appearance."

"I sense another obsession within your heart." The fortune teller added, "And a darkness."

The green eyed woman gulped, thanking him before stepping aside to let the twins have a turn.

"Well, Misses Rathbone, you both are under the protection of the magnificent and rare star, Sirius. Those protected by Sirius have lofty ideals and the air of genius about them. They often tend to be extremely two-faced as well. A wonderful radiance lies within you both."

The twins' mostly blue eyes widened and they turned to look at each other before looking back at the man.

Sebastian noticed the looks on their faces and stood up and approached them.

"What is going on here?" He asked the fortune teller

The two men made eye contact for a moment: both recognizing what the other was.

The lavender haired man then looked up towards the black haired one, "Nothing but a mystical fortune reading. But you're not exactly human are you, Mr. Rathbone?"

Sebastian scowled at him, opening his mouth to reply but the fortune teller raised his voice slightly to gather attention, "What you are is a black hole that swallows up the radiance of stars shining with all their might, any stars drawn to you will stray from their orbits to wander the murk for all eternity."

The people nearest them began to gasp and complain:

"Gobble up our glimmer?!"

"How terrifying..."

"Don't let him ruin our precious fun time!"

One woman gasped and held her toddler close, "Don't let him near my child!"

Many more people began to demand that he leave.

The shorter man gave the vampire a smug smirk, quietly adding, "Go now, collapsar, you've already shackled three brilliant stars to yourself, I will not let you siphon away any more."

Angered, but not letting his face give it away, Sebastian grabbed his darling's wrists and led them out.

As they began to walk away, Blavat spoke to the twins and Lizzy, "It's a pretty gilded cage you all live in, isn't it? None of you want for nothing inside your golden bars. So long as you never try to fly away, he won't even clip your wings."

***

Sebastian led Astre, Ciel and Lizzy into their carriage, immediately ordering the driver to take them back to the hotel.

"What happened in there, daddy?" Astre asked

Ciel continued, "Why did he call you a 'black hole'?"

Lizzy asked nothing, she already knew: the fortune teller had recognized the vampire for what he was just as he saw the darkness in her heart...