Chapter 17

A long, warm shower was all I needed after this hectic day. My wolf couldn't stop whining in my head for his mate. It had already taken me a lot of will power to walk away from that one person who should have made me happy. But the human side of me was beyond livid.

All my life I had been waiting for the day I would get to meet my mate. I used to believe that mates were made for one another. And that the moon goddess never makes mistakes. I no longer knew what to believe and what not to. All I knew was that I wasn't going to sit around and mope about it. I needed to make myself stronger so that I could get out of this mess. I had a pack that was soon going to look up to me to lead them, and to show them the right direction. If I wanted to lead this pack, I need to pave the right way for myself first. Otherwise, how useful is an Alpha who couldn't handle a simple rejection. Two people should not be together because of some destiny.

I got out of the shower and went towards my cupboard to pick out clothes for the evening. I chose a red polo t-shirt and dark denim jeans. It was still the middle of autumn, so It hadn't started getting cold yet. It was neither hot enough to walk around in shorts. After getting dressed, I sprayed on some musky cologne and went out of my room.

I was about to turn around the corner of the hallway when I heard a loud crashing noise and some growling noise. It was already time for dinner and no one was to be in the house at the time. When the noises started getting louder, I rushed down the stairs, to where the sounds were coming from.

My instincts were telling me that something bad was happening right now.

The voices grew louder when I turned towards the Warrior Quarters. My feet led me towards the exact source of the growling. At the end of the hallway, what I saw sent a cold shiver up my spine. There was a guy who was pressing up someone against the wall, trying to suffocate them.

Before I could take another step forward, one of my pack members came stumbling out of the room in the corner. I recognized her immediately to be Natasha. She was the girl who used to hang around with Rosalie in middle school. She had a kitchen knife in her hand. I could not react in time to stop her from stabbing the man in front of her.

Everything went silent after that. The alpha in me was beyond enraged at that sight. I had no control over my actions as I stomped towards the trio. I heard a cry of help come from the person underneath the lifeless body, as they tried to push him off of then. My blood ran cold at seeing Rosalie in front of me, all bruised up with a black eye and bleeding nose. I let out a loud animalistic growl at the sight in front of me and walked towards her.

I held the lifeless man by the back of his neck and ripped him off of Rosalie, throwing his body in the corner. I turned back towards Rosalie to see that she had passed out.

Her injuries were very extensive. Her right arm bent at an awkward angle towards her back. There were dark purple bruises in the shape of large hands around her neck. Her past injuries from her fight back in the afternoon had not yet healed. That only seemed to fuel my anger even further, to the point where I was not even thinking straight.

I managed to compose myself a little bit before I would do something that I would regret later on. I slid one of my hands under her waist and the other under the back of her knees, and picked her up in my arms. Even though she had lost consciousness, she seemed to weigh less than an average girl her age should. From a closer distance, her delicate features seemed even more gentle. Even covered in bruises, she managed to look as beautiful as ever. Seeing her in this condition brought bad thoughts into my mind. All worst-case scenarios were running in my mind.

I had made a promise a long time ago to someone. To protect them from all dangers, at all costs. I had promised her that I would always be by her side, to protect her from any danger that came her way. And I had broken this promise. All because of an immature fight, which shouldn't have become that big.

Thinking about the fight that we had back at the end of middle school, I realize how unnecessary it had been. Both of us should have tried to be more mature and tried to understand each other. We would have come to the conclusion that it was not worth giving up on our friendship.

I looked down at the girl in my arms and felt a rush of old memories. All the time we had spent together as young children, all the memories we shared came rushing back in.

.

.

.

.

FLASHBACK:

She was a very happy and lively child at 5 years old. We had first met during one of the pack's annual meetings.

As a child, I had hated going to these adult parties, as I would get bored. I did not have any friends my age because most of them were too afraid to approach the Alpha's son.

Everyone my age would avoid me and play among themselves. I would be stuck sitting with my parents among the other adults.

In one of these parties, I met Rosalie. She was the one who approached me at the tables and said that she wanted to become my best friend. Since that day we became very good friends. I would look forward to these parties as that was the only time we met.

Very soon we started preschool and we started hanging out more often. Our friendship remained strong and continued all the way to Middle school. We had shared a lot of fun memories in all those years.

But then middle school started and she made a new friend, Natasha. Middle school was the time when the other kids started trying to become my friends.

Even though I had made new friends, I never felt a strong connection with them. I had soon realized that they weren't my friends, but stayed with me because of who I was. They wanted to be friends with me because I was the Alpha's son.

Despite having different friend groups, Rosalie and I never stopped being friends.

After school, we would hang out at the pack house or in our secret spot in the garden.

The little moments we spent together were enough for us to keep our bond. Even though we didn't hang out with each other at school.

All was going great till that one unfortunate night at the party at the end of school.

.

.

.

.

.

A/N

To clarify things beforehand, this universe is different from the other werewolf books you guys will probably find on Wattpad. People don't just immediately fall in love with each other just because they are supposed to be mates. After they meat each other it takes them time to form a strong bond with each other. And some mate pairings are just not meant to be. If two mates are not able to form that bond with each other, they may part with each other like regular people. Breaking of the mate bond is supposed to be consented by both parties. Rejection is still a taboo and is frowned upon.