Chapter 4-The Surprise Meeting [E]

Earlier, Around mid-afternoon, 3:00pm the same day...

Patrick couldn't wait to get home and rest. He was hoping for a quick power nap before his wife came home with the girls. His driver, Frank, smoothly maneuvered his S500, Mercedes Benz into the open gate of his home and parked right in front of the large double doors. Frank made to get out and open the door for his employer first but Patrick stopped him saying, "It's all right Frank, I'll open it on my own, thank you. You can have the rest of the day off."

"Thank you, Sir." He politely replied.

Patrick made his way into his home and was greeted by Oliver, their butler, taking his briefcase from his hands.

"Are the girls home yet?" Patrick asked Oliver as he shrugged his business jacket off his shoulders.

"No, Sir, but I believe they will be here close to the four o'clock hour."

Patrick then instantly remembered his brief conversation with Jonathan earlier today, his good friend and attorney requesting a meeting with him at 4 o'clock. Patrick thought it odd but nonetheless asked him if it were possible to meet up tomorrow instead. Exhausted from back to back meetings all day at work, Jonathan apologized for the short notice, insisting they speak.  The sooner the better, he had said.

Recalling their brief conversation, Jonathan informed him Clara, his wife and Anthony, his son will be accompanying him as well. 

Patrick turned to Oliver, "Oliver I just remembered some guests will be arriving very shortly, please seat them in my study and have some refreshments readied upon their arrival."

He nodded his head in understanding saying, "Very good, Sir. Will they be staying for dinner?" He inquires. 

"I don't believe so. When Mrs. Taverron arrives please direct her towards the study and be sure to inform her we have guests. I haven't had a chance to speak to her all day, I didn't want to interrupt her outing."

"Yes, Mr. Taverron."

He made his way to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water. Rich aromas greeted his nose as Winnie, their cook, readied everything for dinner.

"Smells delicious Winnie." He told her with a wink and smile. The fifty-five year old cook blushed and smiled murmuring a quick thank you.

Patrick went upstairs wanting to wash up and freshen his appearance before his guests arrived.
*****
Jonathan and his family were greeted by Oliver and quickly situated them in Patrick's large in-home office. They sat on very lush leather chairs facing the fireplace. A large painting of Patrick and his wife hung above the mantle. A vast collection of books lined the walls. The room was large with built-ins and exquisite rare antiques. Patrick's large desk was situated across from the fireplace, behind tall grand windows. Deep burgundy and gold accents gave the room a luxurious atmosphere.

After a few minutes of waiting, Anthony started to become nervous, sweating profusely, his heart beating out of his chest as Patrick started to open the doors to his study.  As he strode in, Anthony and his parents rose upon his entering. Patrick shook hands with all three and asked them to politely be seated situating himself on the sofa across the chairs his current guests were seated. Oliver came in and started serving refreshments.

"To what do I owe this pleasurable visit?" Asked Patrick eyeing them curiously.

Anthony couldn't help but be intimidated by Patrick's presence. The man looked like a Greek God with big broad shoulders, tall, well over 6ft., sharp nose, shoulder length salt and pepper hair tied to the nape of his neck. His sharp, dark ink-blue eyed gaze could unhinge a full grown man down to his knees.

Anthony's mother Clara spoke up, "Patrick we were hoping Charlotte was present as I see it only fitting that she be present for what we are about to discuss."

Patrick felt slight annoyance at her statement, he couldn't just snap his fingers at his will and she'd appear.  He didn't want to be impolite and state they came at such short notice.   "My wife is currently on her way back from a shopping trip with the girls," looking down at his watch he continued, "and should be here any moment. But I must confess I'm curious, is there something I can do for you as you wait? It seems serious."

Johnathan replied hurriedly, "No, no we would like the honor of her presence, for this request we seek her approval as well as yours. And no, before you ask further nothing is wrong, and as a matter of fact all is well and fine." He said with a warm smile.

Anthony's nerves were at their wits end. He felt like he was suffocating and about to disgrace himself and pass out. The suspense was killing him, where are they?? It's past four o'clock already, he thought, pulling the collar of his Armani suit.

"Are you well, Anthony?" Asked Patrick.

The boy gulped heavily.

Patrick narrowed his eyes at the young man. The boy was sweating and breathing hard, obviously nervous.

Then the realization hit him.

Anthony and Cici have been seeing each other, and as far as Patrick knows she's quite smitten with him. He overheard Cici talking to Angelica in her bedroom one day about how wonderful and intelligent he is and other such nonsense.

He's here with his family to ask for my eldest daughter's hand in marriage...The short notice visit...Clara and Jonathan together with their son...needing Charlotte to be present...Anthony a nervous wreck. This is the only explanation, he thought with displeasure. 

Patrick's eye started to twitch and before he could badger the boy, his beautiful wife came in.

Her smile lit up the room as she walked in gracefully on her feet and greeted Clara, Johnathan and Anthony warmly before coming to stand by Patrick's side and giving him a kiss on the cheek. Charlotte came to Patrick's shoulders and was lean with warm sun kissed blonde hair, a peachy complexion and warm hazel eyes.

"It's so lovely to see all of you here, what an unexpected surprise. Clara, you didn't notify me that you would be in town. Have you settled in your new home?" Asked Charlotte excitedly.

Clara smiled at her dear friend, "As a matter of fact we did and just finalized the last few items over the weekend. We are officially your neighbors now. Please forgive me dearie, but I've been so overwhelmed with the last bits of details it slipped my mind to update you. But here we are now and we have something to ask of the both of you."

Patrick shifted uncomfortably in his seat and snorted so softly she almost missed it.  Charlotte also noticed he sat beside her stiffly and could feel the anger building inside him roll off in waves.

She then casually glanced at their guests.  Anthony looked as if wanted to run out of the room. Clara and Jonathan waited expectantly eager and beaming.   What's going on here? She thought with raised eyebrows waiting for them to continue. She was feeling jittery as it was from the events of earlier today.

Anthony stared right ahead of him and started bouncing his right leg up and down nervously....

Oh dear, this can't be good, she thought, feeling another surprise awaiting them. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drama coming up in the next chapter. Stay tuned...
Thanks lots, Shaz.