2

Human Or Energizer Bunny

Shelly laughed softly. "Dalia is very clumsy. But she sorta rolls with the falls. It's kind of become an art with her. At least she doesn't let it bring her spirits down." The librarian looked at him curiously, caution and concern in her eyes. "Uhm...not to be rude, but...where did you meet her? You don't really seem her usual-" 

"I got it!" The somewhat frazzled woman made her way back up the steps in more sensible shoes, a nametag on her library vest, and hair in a loose bun. She held a brown paper bag in one hand and a thick hardcover book in the other. The woman moved past the giant of a man and handed both to Shelly. "Here you go, Shelly. I'm going to start in the kids corner tonight. And on break we are definitely talking about that book!" 

Dalia turned and cast her bright smile on the man, giving an exhausted huff and giggle. "Thank you so much for waiting." She stepped up and smiled warmly, no reservations or concerns in her eyes as to what sort of person he was beneath the bulk. She was genuinely pleased to see the man. "I just wanted to say how sorry I was about this morning. The train was running late and my alarm didn't go off at the right time." She rolled her eyes and shook her head with a short laugh. "You know how it is. Anyways, I'm sorry I ran into you, I hope I didn't hurt you in any way." She smiled brightly up at the man. "And thank you. It was very kind of you to help me pick my things up instead of walking away or yelling at me like I normally get." Her features warmed on him with genuine kindness. "I really appreciated it. Thank you." 

A thin man stepped into view across the room. "Namae!" She jolted in surprise at the yell and looked over. "These books won't sort themselves, woman!" She turned a frazzled smile on the giant. "Thanks again. I hope you have a wonderful evening." "Namae!" Dalia turned and started hurrying over to the section the man was standing in. "Coming sir!" "Bout time. And make me a cup of coffee. I'll need the damn caffeine with you on the shift." Despite his grouchy mood, the woman remained cheery and positive. "Yes, Mr. Meers. I'll get that for you right away." She turned and scurried past the giant once more and back down to the lounge. "Black two sugars, black two sugars," she repeated softly to herself as she went. Shelly sighed and rolled her eyes. "Sexist jerk," she grumbled under her breath before returning to filing returns back into the system.

Ah. She works here. The woman flew by him without an iota of caution for his natural menace. It was then that Balroy decided there was something wrong with the girl. Not only did she look him square in the eye, but her stance was neither nervously turned away, nor overtly sexual, as he experienced most times a woman spoke to him so brazenly. On and on the girl spoke, yet somehow, it was not a grating or self-centered dialogue. The run-on apology was....cute. Then, without having actually spoken a word, Balroy's company was traded for that of books and apparently the resident asshole. ".......hm."
The giant wandered off in search of the media section, plucked up his next conquest and returned to the desk. In and out. As he'd planned.

**********

The next few days flew by. It was testing time for the students, and Dalia was picking up the slack Karen couldn't handle. She finally got home that night, lucky to have off from the library, and opened her fridge to make some food. Her stomach snarled angrily, then sank in woe at the sight of an empty fridge. "Aw maaannn...." And that is what brought Dalia to the grocery store. The nearest one was three blocks from her house, and there was no way she could afford a cab. Dalia walked into the store and grabbed a cart. She got everything on her list, plus a few extra snacks for the way back, and stood in line to pay.

**********

Balroy jabbed at his controller rapidly until he put it down with a muttered curse. Why was it he could slaughter a thousand skeletons with no problems, but cursed mini games always had his number? The large man rose and went to the tiny kitchen off the side. His brow furrowed. Ketchup and macaroni...? He huffed and closed the cabinet. He needed to stock up again.

**********

The evening saw him at the grocery store down the way. With two crates of ramen stacked high over one shoulder and a plastic hand basket filled to overflowing with meat beneath the other, the man waited his turn in line, poised like a grocery god. With a short shrug, he gave the crates a controlled topple onto the conveyor belt. The giant went to put the divider between him and the next person when he glanced up. "Oh." He recognized her. The little librarian with the stairs problem.