6

Handyman By Day
Bouncer By Night

It was nearly a week later when Balroy got a call around early afternoon. The meek voice over the phone was that of the small woman he had helped. "Uhm, Balroy, hi this is Dalia. Are you available today?"

Balroy was tangled up in his sheets. He had no idea why he'd even bothered trying to use them again. The whim found him turning and twisting until he clapped a hand over the phone. "Yeah? You need help with something?" he asked groggily, once he realized who it was. After a few days, he figured she'd been weirded out and scraped up the money to have the lock installed professionally. Either that, or she just plain didn't do it.

"Oh no, I woke you up. I'm sorry, I just...I can't get this stupid thing installed. I tried using a screwdriver and somehow ended up cutting my hand. I know you asked for a candy bar, but I don't actually have one. But...I have something else I can give you that I'm sure you'll really love."

Balroy closed his eyes in a long blink at the torrent of information-and invitation? He shook his head. "I'll come over. Are you bleeding?" The giant freed his legs and rolled out of bed to find his jeans. Was he about to get paid in the way of the oldest profession? He lifted his jeans and sniffed. His head jerked back slightly with a frown.

"Uh I-well, I mean-ehm...sorta," she said sheepishly. "I don't have a first aid kit, so I wrapped my bandana around my palm. I can't leave for the hospital because my door won't close."

The giant's eyes rolled up in his head. Why. Why would a girl like her not have a first aid kit. "Keep pressure on it. I'll be over in a few minutes. The one with the blue cover on the mailbox, right?" He picked up the next pair and tested this one as well. He mulled briefly, then went to find his air freshener.

"Yes. Building 241 apartment B." When the man hung up, Dalia sighed and looked at her hand. The bandanna was soaking up the blood from her throbbing extremity. The woman applied pressure and raised her hand above her head. "Ugh...way to go, Dal. Real nice of you to ruin his day," she said to herself with a frown. The woman then froze and looked down at herself. A white tank top with Bulbasaur over her chest and his pokè number on the back like a jersey, and a set of hot pink shorts with the word Juicy running over her butt in glitter letters. "Oh god."

Dalia was so thankful her hair was already up in a loose bun at least, but now she wondered if she could do for him what she had planned from the beginning. The tiny woman placed a potted plant behind the door to keep it closed, but the doorknob had been removed so she had to keep it somewhat ajar. Taylor Swift sounded from inside her kitchen as she went to the task she would repay him with.

**********

Four minutes later, a knock sounded at the door. Balroy stood there, a cheap first aid kit in one hand and a miniature tool kit in the other. His clothes, slightly better smelling pants and a dark blue shirt that said "Little Tokyo, LA", were rumpled and his hair in a hasty bun of his own.

Balroy heard the sound of the small woman trotting towards the door. "Coming!" A loud scraping sound accompanied with a grunt was heard before the door opened and a slightly breathless, very frazzled Dalia came into view. She huffed and laughed awkwardly. "Sorry. I'm a mess and so is the door." She opened the door further and stepped aside. 

The house was really warm, more so than one might keep their home comfortably, and smelled deliciously savory. She gestured for him to enter. "Sorry about the heat. I can't figure out how to turn the thermostat down. Or up...or whatever." She shook her head and waved a hand dismissively. "Anyways, can I get you a drink maybe or something to snack on?" Dalia's left hand was bandaged with a red soaked bandana that was originally white. Her skin was stained red from her blood, but at least it wasn't dripping. Dalia offered a small, frazzled smile. "Sorry about all this."