22

The Hair Affair
Continued

The ordeal was not as long as Dalia's, as the stylist understood less was more in this case. He chattered with Dalia as the bouncer's hair was combed to one side and pinned. Much, much hair spray went into this section as he prepared to shape. A few plastic rings, rubber bands and a last spray and- "Done! Now, that wasn't so bad, was it?" "Hrm."

From beside where Balroy sat, a loud squee of excitement and adoration was heard. Dalia hugged his head to her chest, careful to keep her hands clear of the little hair hat tilted to one side and ringed in place. "It's gorgeeoouuss!" The woman squished his head merrily against her ample bossom before pulling back and gazing at the man in satisfaction. "Okay, I never thought I'd say this, but Balroy...you're adorable." She giggled and held up her phone. "May I take a picture?"

Softened up suitably by the combination of girlfriend sounds and girlfriend boobs, he raised a finger. "On the condition that you never, ever, ever, ever, ever show it to anyone. Ever." He raised his eyebrows in emphasis.

Dalia's lips pressed together as she fought her desire to beg he change his mind. "Not even my bestest friend?" she asked with a playful grin.

"Not your brother, not your friend, not the cat you pet on the street on the way to work. Not even me," he stated resolutely.

That seemed to shut the little woman down with a scolded frown. "Okay," she said softly. I went too far. Dalia slipped her phone away. "I won't take a picture." She looked to the stylist. "Can you take it out now?"

Balroy opened his mouth to speak, then exhaled. He pulled Dalia in close to his side and held up his phone. "Say rutabaga," he deadpanned and turned to blow into her ear. He snapped a photo of the odd moment.

Dalia's face contorted and cheeks flushed just before the picture snapped. She squeaked and shivered, frowning at her boyfriend. "...rutabaga." The woman huffed. "Balroy, you didn't have to take a picture, I want you to not have any regrets about this day."

"I do not regret it so long as it is just between us. And the many strangers." The bouncer flashed her a smile. "Come. Make a silly face." He pointed the camera at her.

Dalia frowned still, crossing her arms in a pout. She sighed, then made a half hearted silly face. After a moment, she made another, this time committing further to the look. She laughed softly. "Can you take that out now?" she asked the stylist.

"No. Too late. I've committed." Balroy reached down and scooped Dalia up without warning, tossing her over a broad shoulder. "How much?" he asked briefly as he pulled out his wallet from his back pocket. His other arm curled around Dalia securely.

"Wh-hey!" the woman yelped as she was tossed up over his shoulder like a doll. "Balroy!" She was very glad she had decided to wear leggings. "Balroy Maerifa you put me down this instant!" she cried out. "Take that hat out of your hair, we both know that you hate it!" When he didn't put her down, she huffed and propped her chin on her hands much like Fiona from Shrek when the princess was put in a similar situation. Accepting of her fate, the librarian said, "I guess this brings a whole new meaning to hat hair."

Balroy snorted as the stylist groaned. "Here's your change. Try not to get too lost in each others eyes too much, you two." Balroy stuffed the money in his pocket and reached up. It was astounding how little effort it was for him to twirl the librarian around so she could sit on one shoulder. "Now you will see everything." He walked back into the main area where the noise and colors were en mass.