chapter 20: car wreck

A cry came from under the stack of cars. But it was no ordinary whine, the scene was littered in people, strangers taking pictures and of course, uploading them to social media, and yet not bothering to actually help the people hurt inside.

Adora approached the scene with caution, thankfully they had a doctor in the crowd, it wasnt the best idea but it was the only one they had so far.

Glimmer stayed on the phone with her mom, telling her each second what was going on, Some people helped as Adora  pushed off a car that was toppled over the other and so on.

Finally the car at the very bottom was in Adora's reach and she managed to scramble through all the shattered glass and metal, of course cutting herself once or twice.

The scene was disgusting, two corpses laid on the front seats while a child cried from the back, blood was splattered everywhere and Adora was sure she got a lot  on her shirt.

She took a sight of the child and her eyes watered, it was just like that scene all over again... memories flashed through  her mind, all she remembered was that  it was a dark and rainy night, red and blue lights flashed everywhere, and the sight of her parents, dead.

She remembered a particular scene, standing by the bridge and looking out to the moon, she couldn't tell if the water rolling down her cheeks were tears or just the rain, she waited for the ambulance to arrive and stood by the police.. waiting.

She snapped her head back to the scene, she didn't notice but tears streaked down her face rapidly, she ignored it and went to unclip the seat, bringing the child out of its hold.

Telling by the looks, the baby was probably a year old, or maybe even less.

Adora nodded at the crying child and carried them out, wincing a bit as glass stabbed her by her belly, it probably wasn't important, and either way the child was her first priority.

Once she stepped out she handed the baby to the doctor who quickly examined it.

"This child is full of life.. thank you for rescuring her... do you know happen to know  anything about  her parents..?" the doctor asked looking up at Adora who had a dull expression on her face.

She sighed

"Dead." She deadpanned, the Doctor's mouth shaped an 'o' and looked down at the brunette who rest in their arms, they looked down at her with glossy eyes, a tear slipping down their cheek.

"How old are you?" The doctor  asked looking up at Adora  who raised an eyebrow.

"18." She breathed, the doctor shook their head "i was asking to see if you were able to adopt her.. i think the baby and you have this connection,, i can see it in the way she stares at you."  They said looking between the baby and Adora, Adora's eyes widened  and stared into the girl's eyes, they were almost the same shade of blue, except Adora's seemed more pale.

The doctor was right, there was this weird twinge of adoration in her eyes as she looked up at Adora.

Adora could feel her hands shaking a bit, and her lip trembled, her eyes stung, she wanted to cry again and the  doctor knew it.

She sat down beside them and released a long sigh, her hair fell down on her shoulders and she ran her fingers through  her messy bangs, she actually wanted to keep the child but she wasn't allowed to, not yet.

Glimmer approached them quickly, still on her phone with her mother "mom! Heres Adora." She said to the phone, before lowering it down to Adora's reach, the blonde pressed the warm phone to her ear, waiting for a word from Angella, she was probably the only person who would understand what she was going through, if it wasn't Catra.