Heather x Shy!BandMember!Reader - Typical Story

A/N - The song is relevant, you'll see, trust me!
Y/I - Your instrument
Italics - Thought

~ 6 years old ~

You and your parent(s) had just moved into your new house. A place called Sherwood, Ohio. Since your parents were still unpacking hours after your early morning arrival, they said you should go and make some friends. Unsure, you walked down the street a little, until you saw a young girl with long, blonde hair.
"I-Uhm, hi!" You walked over, smiling awkwardly a
"Hm, oh hi! You must be the new kid, I saw the van earlier!" The girl responded, excited.
"Y-Yeah, that's me.." You muttered.
"Nice to meet you! I'm Heather McNamara!" She introduced herself enthusiastically.
"Your name is nice.. I'm Y/N L/N." You said nervously.
"Aww thanks!" She smiled and pulled you into a hug, leaving you red.
That was how you met your best friend and crush.

~ A year later ~

You'd been taking Y/I lessons for a little while, and offered to play for Heather. Sure, you weren't the best at it, far from it, but you poured your heart into it anyway. You know now it was pretty bad, but the day you played for her was also the day you fell in love with her, truly. That day, despite how badly you played, she saw how much you cared about it, and so, she encouraged you the best she could.

"So, uhm, how was it Mac?" You asked awkwardly.
"It was amazing, Y/N! I've never heard anyone play so well!" She complimented.
"Really..?" You questioned in disbelief.
"Yeah, I love it!" She reassured you, and kissed you on the cheek.

~ High school - present ~

I've been in love with Heather for a long time, but she was always too oblivious to see it. Or maybe she did, and chose to watch me suffer.. No! You shuddered at the thought, she wouldn't do something so cruel, she's like a ray of sunshine..

You had planned to confess to her tomorrow, with a song on stage. Since it was the pep rally, the school had happily agreed to let you play. Annoyingly, your band was a strange mismatch of people, since very few people at Westerburg played instruments. The school had made the band, you all had to go along with it. You, JD, and Kurt. As you got ready to go to your next class, you saw Heather kiss Kurt. She'd never been the smartest with love, but he'd treated her like shit. She'd promised you she was done with him, but no. It angered you to a whole new level, but there was nothing you could do.

That night, you wrote a new song. You had JD with you when you did so, and as such it was all coordinated. You planned to ask Kurt to join in the next day, you'd written it down for him to follow. However, the next day, he'd been killed. Apparently he died just 40 minutes after JD left your house. That worried you greatly, JD had always been a little off. Still, you brushed it off as speculation until Veronica came to you that morning at school, she dragged you into the girls bathroom.
"Be careful." She told you, deadly serious.
"W-What?" You asked.
"JD. He killed Kurt." She informed you, her expression not faltering.
"How do you know that..?" You questioned, not wanting to believe it.
"I was there. I missed the shot, but he didn't.." She admitted, a single tear falling from her eyes.
"Guess I'll have to play something different at the pep rally then.." You muttered, thinking.
"What?" She could barely hear you.
"I worked on a song a while back, I think it fits the situation pretty well. They're still holding the rally, right?" You said.
"Yeah, just, don't do anything stupid.." She replied, worried for you.

~ Pep Rally ~

You stood with your M/I on the stage, having unplugged JD's instrument. As he began to try and play, you started to sing loudly, playing your instrument as intensely as possible.

"It's the typical story where the bassist kills the singer!" You pointed to JD and the large photo of Kurt, hung on the gym wall as a memorial.

"The guitarist and the drummer find they're in love with each other!" You pointed to Ram and Kurt's photo.

"It's the story of the kid who clearly won't know what to say when the love of their life slowly walks away!" You pointed at yourself and McNamara.

Before you could continue, the principal decided he'd heard enough and forced you to stop. He didn't like all the accusations, and the fact the music wasn't country. To be fair, if hadn't stopped you, JD might've killed you anyway.

After getting scolded, you walked back to the gym to see quite the scene. Ram was crying at the photo of Kurt, JD getting arrested and McNamara came running towards you.

"I'm not calmly walking away!" She shouted at you.
"W-What?" You questioned.
"Your song. You're in love with me, aren't you?" She asked in retaliation.
"Yeah.." You admitted, muttering.
"Well, lucky for you, I am too.." She confessed, and kissed you softly on the lips.

Technically, you did confess at the pep rally with a song in the end, just in a roundabout way..