427-431

Chapter 427: The Overbearing Prince

Helian Wei Wei listened quietly, never once did she interrupted the Retired Emperor. She sat beside the Retired Emperor as she slowly drank from the cup of tea in her hands like a family member of a younger rank.

Only when she listened until the end, she gave a gentle smile saying, “Grandfather, don’t worry, should that happen someday, I will not become his weakness.”

She had never intended to be a mere consort in the harem.

Since she loved him, of course, she would love him with all of her heart.

As she thought about it, Helian Wei Wei’s voice was clearer than ever. “Be it a pawn, or a sword in his hands, my only wish is for him to think of me, Helian Wei Wei, whenever he sees the throne.”

As if astonished at her words, the Retired Emperor’s eyes seemed to flicker for a moment. “No wonder Jue Er chose you,” he said as he beamed proudly.

However, Helian Wei Wei thought nothing of it. Was it not her job as a bossy president to protect her beloved partner?

When Baili Jia Jue entered and saw the two of them having a conversation, he raised his eyebrow. “What are you two talking about?”

“Nothing.” Helian Wei Wei stretched lazily. “Where did you go just now?”

“Something came up at Eunuch Sun’s place,” Baili Jia Jue stated plainly.

“Oh, since you’re busy, let’s go back now,” Helian Wei Wei said as she stood up. “There’s this one old Lord who has been pestering for the martial practice scripts, I can get him two when I get back.”

“No need, I have tasked someone to bring it over.” Baili Jia Jue reached out to pick up his cloak that was resting on a chair as his eyes met the Retired Emperor’s eyes.

Helian Wei Wei had also turned to face the Retired Emperor. “Imperial Grandfather, we will be taking our leave.”

“Go ahead, go ahead.” The Retired Emperor waved at them, making him appear like any ordinary old man…

Helian Wei Wei was still going over the words of the Retired Emperor inside her head when her gaze fell upon the slender yet indifferent silhouette walking before her. She reached out her hand to hold his free hand that was hanging by his side.

Their fingers then interlocked.

Baili Jia Jue’s thin lips formed a crooked smile. Like leading a little child, he led Helian Wei Wei to the royal chamber.

Subsequently, he gave her a rub on her head as he spoke, “Go and sleep first if you’re tired.”

“You are heading out again?” Helian Wei Wei yawned.

Baili Jia Jue grunted as an affirmative answer. “There are some trivial issues that I need to take care of.”

“Oh.” Helian Wei Wei followed after him automatically.

Baili Jia Jue rested his eyes on her as he chuckled, “You don’t need to come with me, it’s just a small matter. When I return, I want to have some of those apricot cakes you prepared today, put out a few more pieces for me.”

“Alright.” Helian Wei Wei left Baili Jia Jue to his own business. Meanwhile, she hugged her blanket as she started searching about in her snack box.

Baili Jia Jue revealed a smile on his face until he went out into the night, cloaked in his outer shirt. The warmth and gentle expression he had just moments ago vanished from his face. “Apart from the imperial guards, order everyone in the palace to gather at the study,” he ordered his royal servants in a cold voice.