Brother and sister

We turned in our project Wednesday and presented Friday. I got a ride to school and back for weeks until I got a text at 3 o’clock in the morning.

*I’m not going to school today. Be safe, text me throughout the day ❤*
I was too tired to fully comprehend the text so I rolled over and got my last two hours of sleep. When I woke up I read the text again and rolled my eyes.

“Fucker.” I was unnecessarily annoyed with the fact he wasn’t coming to school, it wasn’t about the ride. I got dressed and took my car keys and left for school. It was my first time driving to school and it felt good because I didn’t have to wait for anyone and I could play any music I wanted. It was overall therapeutic.

The day was long and boring and I didn’t text Grey Eyes at all, honestly, I forgot to. When I pulled into my driveway his car was parked across the street. I got out of the car and turned towards the street.

“You didn’t text me,” he said walking towards me.

“Yeah, I’m sorry, I forgot.”

“Are you okay? How was your day?”

“I’m fine. It was boring, where were you all day?”

“We went to see my tia and tio after I dropped you off. It’s a four-hour drive and we came back about an hour ago.”

“Okay, well you coming in,” I asked unlocking the door.

“My sister’s in the car,” he answered looking back at his car.

“She can come in too.” He motioned for her to get out of the car and she did. She had on a hoodie and jeans which made her look a lot like her brother.

“Hi Hestia,” she said shyly.

“Hey, girl.” I opened the door and my parents were sitting with company, drinking wine. “Hi mommy, hi daddy.”

“Hello darling, how was your day,” my dad asked putting down his glass.

“Boring,” I said awkwardly. “So this is Emilio and his sister, Marisol.” She waved shyly. “You guys met him about a week ago. We’re just gonna hang out upstairs. ‘Kay?”

“Okay.” They continued the conversation they were having before we walked in. When we got in my room I threw my keys on my vanity and kicked off my shoes.

“Okay, so what you guys wanna do?”

“Can we watch Holes?”

“That’s an old ass movie,” Emilio said getting comfortable in my bed. She looked up from her phone.

“Yes, but I don’t hear you suggesting anything.” He took my Roku remote out my hand.

“I have the remote.” I snatched it back and handed it to Marisol.

“Yeah, we don’t have any opinion on what you put on. We’ll watch whatever.” She put on Holes and started scrolling Instagram on her phone occasionally looking up. Emilio and I were laying down talking.

“So you’re telling me you were just a bad child because you wanted attention?”

“Yeah, my brother was my mother’s prodigy child. The pride and joy and I was their snotty nose brat,” I said not looking up from our entangled hands.

“Ah, so you were just as mischievous as me?”

“No, I didn’t enjoy being bad. I just wanted to be acknowledged by my mom. She has 5 sisters and an older brother. She didn’t want a daughter because she already has sisters looking up to her. Growing up biracial and in Alabama, she and her siblings were constantly bullied. She looked up to her brother, my uncle, for strength and my aunts looked to her.” I looked up at him, he was studying my face.

“That must be rough on her.”

“I wouldn’t know, we don’t talk that much.”

“Damn. Umm, I have a question.” I looked at him waiting for the question. “Since both your parents are black and white what does that make you? Double?” I giggled.

“My dad is Kenyan and white. And my mom is just black and white. So I guess I’d be like 25 percent Kenyan, 25 black and 50 percent white. I don’t know.”

“Mmm, you’re cooler than me now.”

“I’ve been cooler than you, my heritage just adds coolness, Mr. El Savador.” I kiss his cheek.

“Haha, shut up.”

“Okay, but can you guys stop being all lovey-dovey. It’s making my skin break out.”

“If you don’t shut up and watch the two-hour movie you desperately wanted to watch.”

“First off I wasn’t desperate to watch it. And if you’d look up once in a while you’ll see it’s over. And it’s 6:38, can we go home,” she paused and looked at me. “Don’t get me wrong Hestia, I like your place. But it’d be nice to go back to my room.”

“That’s fine. I need to do my homework anyway,” I sighed.

“See, you’re keeping the poor girl from her education. Let’s fucking go.” Emilio sat on the edge of the bed quietly for a moment.

“Fuck it, get your stuff.” He turned around and unplugged her charger from the wall, stuff it in her purse, and hopped up. “Wait in the hall please.”

“M’kay.” I crawled to his side. He lifted my chin for a kiss.

“Can I come back tonight?”

“What?”

“Nothing, I’ll text you when I get home,” he said getting up. I jumped up and followed them. Remembering it’d just be rude to let my guest walk themselves out. I walked them to the car and kissed Emilio before they drove off. On my way back into my house, I heard the horn and I turned around.

“Hestia! Can I get your Instagram!?” Marisol was standing outside the car window.

“Your local Hes,” I yelled from the door. “There’s an underscore after!.”

“Thanks!”