Dinner Preparations

Vivi checked the ham in Arthur’s oven. It would still be awhile before it would be ready, but it was already starting to eke honey-glazed smells all over the kitchen. Perfect. And the pan of stuffing just under the ham was catching the drippings. She checked the cranberry sauce on the top of the stove, tasting a spoonful. Not enough sugar. She grabbed the sugar scoop and dumped a liberal helping into the saucepot. The pie would have to wait until the ham was out, but that would be a quick bake, and would be finished by the time they’d eaten.

            She turned to wipe her hands on the dishtowel and paused. Mystery’s nose poked into the kitchen, hanging there patiently. “Hey Mystery, come on in… if you can?” She peered out at him. His body was curled starting in the living room, winding through the dining room, and ending in the Kitchen. At her invitation, he poked the rest of his head into the kitchen.

            “I was hoping we could speak, Vivi.”

            She swallowed, then turned back to the sauce, pretending to check it. “Sure Mystery.” She forced a note of cheer into her voice. “Where are the guys?”

            “They retreated to Arthur’s workshop. Lewis was a bit overcome at the smell of your cooking, and they both left their gift wrapping to the last moment. Again.”

            Vivi couldn’t help a small laugh. “Those are my boys. Do you think Lewis is going to try and fix Arthur’s wrapping again?”

            “Undoubtedly. I expect we’ll have to break up the ensuing rubber band war.”

            “Ah well, we’ll let them have their fun for awhile. Food’s still got awhile to cook.” She checked the ham again. “You might have to shrink down for dinner, I don’t think there’s enough to feed you at that size.”

            “Vivi.”

            His tone had shifted, and she immediately began babbling. “You’ll have to tell me some stories sometime. The way Arthur framed it, you and King Arthur were like, best friends. I’d love to hear about it. Did you ever have to fight off anyone attacking him?” She stirred the sauce again.

            “Vivi.”

            “I bet they went running when they saw you. It’s pretty amazing you still want to stick around. It’s not like Stockholm syndrome is it? You’ve been captive so long you sympathize or something?”

            “Vivi… you’re cycling through checking the food every two seconds, and your mouth is moving but you’re not saying anything.”

            She paused, the spoon in her hand.

            “Filling the silence with words won’t stop this conversation. Vivi, what was that book you had?”

            She shrugged. “I have a lot of relics, Mystery. You can’t rely only on tech in our business. Sometimes there are more dangerous situations that require higher levels of firepower than tech gives me.”

            “I would be interested in seeing this book.”

            Vivi’s grip on the spoon tightened. “Sure. Maybe I’ll bring it over sometime.”

            “If you told me where it was, I could get it and be back in a few moments.”

            “No need.” She stirred forcefully, splattering sauce onto the stove. “I’m sure I’ll remember to bring it around sometime.”

            There was a heavy silence, and she could feel herself being measured.

            “Vivi,” Mystery’s voice held a note of warning. “After all the brow-beating you gave Arthur for hiding his troubles, it would be terribly inconsistent if you were hiding something as well.”

            Fudge. Mystery wasn’t going to drop it. She didn’t want to alienate him, but it was more important to keep everyone safe. And at this point, that meant ignorant.

            Turning to Mystery, she leveled an even stare at him. “Arthur is awfully kind, Mystery, and he’s also pretty terrible at lying. When he woke up in the desert and he told us the whole King Arthur shtick, that was amazing. He said it straight out too, like he had no problem talking about it. But when he started talking about you, things got a little dodgy. He looked away, he checked with you, he paused a lot.”

            “Come out and say it.”

            “I’m saying, Mystery, obviously there are things you don’t want known that Arthur knows. And I’m okay with that. I’m not digging. I’d just appreciate the same courtesy.”

            Mystery held her gaze evenly. “I see.” One ear twitched slightly. “I understand you, then. I will respect your wish for now, as requested. But Vivi?”

            “Yes?”

             “If your secrets ever endanger Arthur, I will have the truth from you any way I can. Understood?”

            Vivi’s eyes dropped, and for a moment she wondered if it was possible to dissolve. Her voice came out less steady than she would have preferred as she responded, “Understood. But it will never come to that.”

            “I hope not, and not only for his sake.” She glanced up at this. “Don’t be so surprised. I may not have been bound to you and Lewis, but I am rather fond of you both as well.”

            She swallowed, the smile more genuine this time. “Kinda fond of you too, furball.”

            Mystery heaved a sigh, rolling his eyes overdramatically. “Still no respect.”

            “Get used to it.” She tilted her head. “Do I hear full-on war from the back?”

            “Indeed. Sounds like it has escalated to paper balls. Shall we break it up?”

            She shook her head. “Nah, let ‘em have their fun and get it out of their system. ‘Sides I have the perfect taste testing guinea pig-I mean giant fox-I need right here. Open up.”

            Mystery blinked, cracking his mouth slightly as Vivi pulled out the stuffing pan and used the sugar scoop to dump some on the tip of Mystery’s tongue. “How’s that big guy?”

            He closed his mouth, rolling it around on his tongue a bit, before forming his mouth into a cheeky grin. “Stockholm syndrome? I think it’s obvious I stay for the cooking.”

            She laughed, bopping his nose affectionately. “Yeah well hold your horses, even better’s on the way.”