A Ghostly Confession

Note: To my Tumblr followers, thanks so much for your patience, it is greatly appreciated. Now, ON WITH THE MADNESS.

………………………………..

            “I’m getting real t-tired of being mistaken for the King.” Arthur grumbled. “I know you’ve been dead for centuries and all, but s-s-seriously, even Mystery says I look nothing like him!”

            “I wouldn’t bother Arthur. Ghosts  that linger as long as he has lose their ability to change their minds much.” Mystery kept a firm hold on the ghost.

            “I know you. Demon dog, always at the king’s heels.” The ghost panted. “Leave off of me, I haven’t harmed the King! I only ever did what he told me! Tell him, sire!”

            Arthur groaned in frustration and took a step forward. “Fine. How about you rem-mind me, cause my memory is just a little hazy. I told you to throw the sword in the l-lake, why did I do that?”

            “That’s what I’ve been asking myself, sire, for many years, why would you have me throw it away? It was a simple enough sword, but there was something about it Sire. I didn’t want to cast it off.”

            “Well obviously you did though. Have you seriously been hang-ging around this long because you feel bad about throwing my sword away?”

            Griflet nodded miserably. “There was something about it…”

            Arthur sighed. “Well, look, hold that thought okay? I gotta talk to Mys… demon dog over here. What about the tapestry? The lady?”

            Mystery tilted his head, eyeing the blackened cloth. “I was not there when he received the sword. He already had it when I was bound to him. He told tales of how it was given to him by a lake spirit, but he was prone to exaggeration. Never one to pass up a good tale. To be honest, I didn’t believe him.”

            “It’s so hard to believe he came across another spirit?” Lewis raised their eyebrows.

            “No, but a water spirit handing out a sword to a human is beyond unusual. If you’d ever met a water spirit, it would make sense."

            “So you…” Arthur gestured at the ghost.

            “Griflet, sire.” The ghost groveled.

            “Grif-flet, did you ever see this lady he talked about?”

            “Never sire, he did love a tale.”

            “So I just heard. Do you know where the lake is?”

            “Oh sire,” the ghost moaned, “I have retraced my steps there and back every day since then. I could guide you in my sleep, if I slept anymore.”

            Arthur gestured toward a hole in a crumbling section of a nearby wall. “Then take us there. Something t-tells me I need that sword, s-so then maybe you can rest once I f-fix my mistake.”

            Mystery’s muzzle swung toward Athur and he leaped back. “That’s-okay-I-can-walk-thank-you!” He blurted. Mystery flicked an ear and released Griflet, who scrambled up, sweeping deep bows.

            “Thank you sire, bless you sire, come this way. I’ll show you the way sire.” He paused for a moment as he rose, frowning. “Sire, you have another companion?” He gestured behind Arthur.