Healing Waters

Note: So I wrote this when I couldn’t sleep and was up til 5 cause I could. Not. Sleep. I will post this up tomorrow. I mean later today. Frick.

………………………………………………….

            Arthur tucked the sword carefully under his arm and pulled the two lockets from his vest. “She’s here. You’d have b-b-been really pr-roud of her, Mrs. P. She outs-smarted Morgause t-twice.” He stared down at the two hearts, weaving a little on his feet. “I… I don’t know… what t-t-to do now…” He turned to Mystery, holding out the hearts. “N-now how do we fix this?”

            Mystery swung his great head toward the Lady, wincing. The mauling on his hide had mostly healed, save for scarring and patches of missing fur, but a few oozing wounds remained. “Are you truly a water spirit?” He asked, ears swiveling toward her.

            Her eyes narrowed slightly as she returned, “What do you mean truly? Are you so blind you cannot recognize a water spirit, demon dog?”

            He stepped back uncertainly, tails tense and ears lowered. “I have never seen a water spirit behave as you, or have such a demeanor, and I have only known you for a few minutes.”

            She turned away. “However I appear to you, I am a water spirit, yes.”

            “Water spirits are the great healers, Arthur.” Mystery redirected his attention. “She could likely do what I cannot, heal Vivi body and soul. Likely she can do the same for Lewis, maybe even…” He fell silent, eyeing Arthur.

            Arthur turned to the Lady. “Lady of the… Exc-calibur…”

            “You may call me Callie.” She murmured.

            “Callie. W-would you heal them?” He gestured at the lockets.

            In answer, she dipped down toward Vivi’s body, scooping it up in her twisting arms. “Demon dog, bring them to my lake.”

…………………………………………...

            Something wet and slimy was rubbing his face, and Arthur swatted blindly at it, his fist still clenching the hilt of the sword. Opening his eyes, he saw Mystery standing over him, the Kitsune’s tongue coming in for another pass over his face.

            “What g-gives?” He groaned, sitting up.

            “You lost consciousness on your journey over.” Callie hovered at the edge of her lake a few feet ahead. “It seems your soul has deep wounds. Wounds like that affect the mind most strongly, and this night has been taxing on all.” Vivi’s body lay at the very edge of the waters, her mother’s ghost kneeling next to it. “If you wish me to heal her, give me her anchor.”

            Arthur retrieved the two hearts, then paused. Lewis’ locket was barely glowing now, and the locket looked fit to crumble any second. Vivi’s still glowed a healthy blue. He held out Lewis’, stammering, “H-he needs it m-more first, he took the w-worst damage defending her.” He glanced guiltily at the ghost. “J-just a few more minutes Mrs. P-P. I c-can’t lose Lewis again.”

            Callie took the locket, examining it carefully. “No body for this one.” She mused, hovering over the waters. She lowered the locket until it was submerged, floating just under the surface. “No body, a broken anchor, and yet he stays. He is quite the loyal one.” She stretched her hands down, stroking the metal with the tips of her fingers. A purple glow suffused the water around it, and Arthur could begin to make out the outlines of his ghostly roommate hovering limply near Callie. She didn’t turn to the Ghost, but continued ministering to his anchor. The glow began to collect itself, pulling together under the water and back into the locket. Lewis appeared more solid, and began to lift his head, bewildered. For the first time, Arthur realized Lewis’ outline was orange, as were the very tips of his fiery hair. Callie glanced up at Lewis, raising an eyebrow at the mix of colors. “Quite loyal.” She remarked, raising the locket up and placing it, now restored, in Lewis’ bony hands.