A Moment To Mourn

“And then I said, ‘I guess you didn’t know your daughter very well.’”

            “BURN!” Vivi howled, falling back on the hotel bed, pounding it with a fist. “Oh Squire, I would have paid to see the look on her face when you said that, oh it must have been something.”

            Arthur had gotten his hands on some scrap metal and a few tools, and was working on the beginnings of a new prosthetic. It warmed him to hear Vivi laugh again, but he couldn’t quite join in.

            It had taken most of his savings to buy three plane tickets back to the states. Arthur, Mystery, and Vivi had taken the seats while Lewis opted for invisibility, still unwilling to leave Vivi’s side. Arthur had returned the sword to Callie, instructing her to follow the vehicle he climbed into, and meet them on the other side when it stopped.

            “You’re gonna see a lot of really weird things, just find us on the other side and stay calm. The world changed a lot while you were lost.” He’d instructed her, before leaving to board the plane. He’d crossed the crack between the extended hall and the plane without thinking. He’d felt no more than mild tension as it took off, and made a note to thank Callie. Mystery had immediately rolled over in his seat and gone to sleep, still healing himself under a mild illusion of perfect health. Vivi had plied Arthur with questions the entire trip, getting every bit of the story from him.

            Mystery’s illusions covered his and Vivi’s return to the country, but triggered the local authorities. Vivi and Arthur had been carted downtown to answer questions about the house fire and the giant dog that had been reported rampaging through the town. Between Vivi’s flustered outbursts and Arthur’s jetlag and missing arm, the authorities had allowed them to collect themselves in a nearby hotel for a few days before issuing a statement.

            “Mystery and Lewis gonna be back soon?” He asked absently. The two had left to edit the memories of all witnesses and authorities regarding the involvement of their gang. It had been a few hours, and he hadn’t seen Callie yet. He hoped she hadn’t gotten lost.

            “I’m sure it won’t be much longer. How’s the arm going?”

            “I need better parts.” He sighed. “Everything else is lost, and my account’s running dry.”

            “I can supplement… some…” She shifted, eyes dropping down. “At least a little. I called in, and they didn’t take my vanishing very well.”

            “Fired?

            “Yeah.”

            “Too bad, they lost the prettiest Barista this side of the globe.” Lewis phased through the door, opening it to allow a black spotted dog to limp in. Arthur set his tools down, reaching over to scoop Mystery into his lap.

            “Guessing you guys are worn out. Gonna shut down for a bit Lew?”

            Lewis shook his head. “I’m good for a little longer, but maybe soon.” He hovered over, taking a seat next to Vivi and wrapping an arm around her shoulders. She smiled, squeezing him, and Arthur focused down on Mystery.

            A tall, robed figure glided through the door, closing it behind. The hood dropped back, and the garment fell to the ground as Callie shook free of it. “Strange does not even begin to describe this land, Arthur, it is a most confusing place to find one human,” She remarked. “But the demon dog was easy enough to track at least.” She rested the sword against the wall and settled on the far corner of the bed, her tail draping over the edge.