Sunken Treasure

Lewis watched from his perch in a tree branch as Mystery paced back and forth below. He could hear the Kitsune counting off the seconds as he timed Arthur’s absence. He couldn’t blame Mystery. Lewis had hardly let Arthur out of his sight since their reunion, and it was hard seeing him go off alone. Not that he thought Arthur was helpless, but… well yes. That’s exactly what he thought.

            Whenever he went back over the night he died, he couldn’t help wondering how he could have gotten events so twisted up. Arthur had been creeped out by the cave, the last one in, practically shadowing Lewis every step of the way. He’d never been overly enthusiastic about the idea of ghost busting, but Vivi’s excitement was always hard to say no to. The idea that someone like Arthur would have the nerve--much less the desire--to push Lewis over the cliff was absurd. And every time he recalled these things to mind, shame was hot on his heels.

            Arthur needed protection, simple as that. He even knew it, but he’d still rejected it. With a growing sense of unease, Lewis wondered if dying had affected Arthur more than he’d guessed or been able to sense. He sighed, staring down at his knees. He’d just have to trust Arthur could take care of himself for another… seven minutes. He could do that, right? Just seven minutes…

            Lewis started, shouting, “Mystery!”

            Mystery’s head swung around. “What? What is it?”

            “What is this??” Lewis pointed at his knees. Suddenly his volume tripled as he stared at his hands. “WHAT IS THIS?”

            Mystery trotted over, rearing up and bracing his forelegs against the trunk of the tree to get a better look. He snorted, eyes widening. “Lewis…”

            Lewis had always had a glow to him, a faint purple outline that pulsed in time with his heart. The faint purple outline had changed, flaring a deep orange, still pulsing.

            “Your hair too.” Mystery stared, distracted for a moment by the change. “Just the very tips, orange. This is most fascinating. It seems there are side effects to staunching each others’ bleeds, I can’t imagine what Arthur’s soul looks like. I wonder if I could get a peek.”

            “Not if it means taking him out of his body!” Lewis glared at Mystery.

            “It wouldn’t hurt!” Mystery whined. “I just want to know… and how long has it been?” He dropped back down to four paws, returning to pace. “I’ve lost count. I’m giving him two more minutes.”

            Lewis returned to staring at his hands, twisting them backwards and forwards. “So weird.” He muttered. “That had better be all that changed. If I start leaving things laying around everywhere, I’ll kill him.” He paused, grinning to himself. “If he starts picking things up and putting them away, though, might be worth it.”

            “Lewis.”

            The dark note in Mystery’s voice jerked Lewis’ head up. Mystery’s nose was in the air, his nostrils flaring, and a grim light in his eyes. “Company. Can’t tell how many. They’re almost here.”

            Lewis resituated himself on the branch, now crouching on it. Deadbeats poured out of his neck hollow, circling silently. He could feel himself flickering, but braced himself for a fight.

            “You’re in no condition to fight, you know that?” Mystery shot a glance at him.

            “I’ll do what I can.” Lewis trained his eyes upward, and so he was the first to see the moon and stars blotted out by hundreds of shadows flooding the night sky. “Mystery!” He hissed.