Hitting the Fan

Note: IMPORTANT. I had some trouble when tweaking the last chapter so you may not have gotten an alert for it, or the alert led to a dead URL. PLEASE CHECK to see if you read the last chapter, or you will be lost as the story goes on. Thank you!

……………………………………

            Vivi stared at the woman across from her. Madame’s head had slumped to her chest, and her head rolled from side to side slightly. Eventually, she picked her head back up and smiled weakly.

            “Well.” She laughed shortly. “That was an experience. My face doesn’t hurt, I take it she was friendlier than legends say?”

            “The legends are always mixed.” Vivi’s eyes dropped. “They say LeFay was evil, but that she found her way to redemption, and even helped King Arthur in the end by carrying him to Avalon. Her sister though… I think time blurred the line between them in the stories.”

            “And was she able to help you?” LePomfrey’s gaze probed at her.

            “Not the way I was hoping.” Vivi fixed her eyes on the tabletop. “She gave me something I doubt my mother was given, or anyone in my line. I have a loophole now, but I need…” She swallowed. “I need to talk to the boys. I have to tell them what’s going on, and I need Mystery’s help.”

            Madame folded Vivi’s hands into hers. “I know you want to protect them, but if this is to be your fate, the next best thing you can do is arm them. Think of the damage that could be done if they had no idea.”

            Vivi’s shoulders shuddered, and she clutched Madame’s hands tightly. “Thank you.” She managed. “You’ve… you’ve gone above and beyond today. Please.” She pushed the old tome across the table. “From myself and Morgan LeFay. She wanted to thank you too.”

            Madame’s eyes widened as she took the book. “My thanks to you,” She expelled a long breath. “This is… a rare treasure to be entrusted with.” Her head jerked up slightly. “She draws near again.”

            “Go.” Vivi stood. “Take a cab back to your shop. Find something defensible in case she comes for you, she probably knows you’ve been helping me at this point. Do you have anything strong enough?”

            The woman nodded, rising. “I have a few trinkets in the back that would give her a fright.” She tilted her head. “They would also destroy everything in a ten mile radius, but I wager her self-preservation is too strong to gamble on whether I’d use them or not.”

            “Keep them close. And if you see me again…” Vivi trailed off.

            Madame LePomfrey came around the table, bent down, and wrapped long arms around Vivi. “If I see you again, I will have my trinkets dear. I hope that your loophole does some good.”

            Vivi sniffed, wiping her eyes as she stood, pulling away from the embrace. “Goodbye.”

            “Goodbye, child.” The medium turned, exiting through the side door with long strides. Vivi turned toward the front door, clutching her purse and the remaining book. She had to get to the gang.

……………………………….

            “Vivi’s taking a long time.” Lewis frowned at the door, fingers still typing away on the laptop set up in front of him. “What more could she have to say to that quack?”