Hero (Royality)

Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well this ones kind of short because I wasn't sure how to actually write the idea so sorry if it's terrible. I have also decided that I would put down when it was written and published, I guess for me to keep track of it myself.
Written: 7th, 12th December 2020
Published: 20th February 2021

This was an idea I had after POF2 but it might make no sense. I'm a little scatterbrained at the moment.
T.W: Angst, sad Roman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Patton hadn't seen Roman since that video. The door to his room was locked, nothing had come out of the room for a long time. Patton left food by the door. Sometimes it was eaten, sometimes it wasn't.

He couldn't take it anymore. He needed to see Roman. He loved the prince but his duties got in the way. Thomas was the priority, he would always be the priority. That kind of intimate relationship could jeopardise that.

Patton walked to the door and looked at it for a while. He kept bringing up his hand to knock before chickening out and stepping back. He swallowed and lightly tapped.

For a long while, nothing happened. Patton convinced himself that Roman was probably asleep and that he should leave him be. He was about to turn when he heard the click of the lock.

The creaking door was like a scream in the silence that had burrowed its way into that part of the hallway. Patton couldn't see a face, but he heard a voice.

"P-patton?" It was croaky and scared.
"Roman? Can...can I come in?" Patton didn't realise how quiet he had become after Roman had gone but it was clear that both their voices had lost their light. The door opened slightly more and Patton took it as an invitation to come in.

He had been in Roman's room before, but this. This was not his room. It couldn't have been.

Roman's room was usually a tip.

But this. It looked like a maid had come in and cleaned the place 20 times over.

He sat on his bed and darted his eyes to next to him. I took that as an invitation to sit there but I made sure to not be too close. I could pretend that the distance was because I thought he would need the space but I know that it was because I was a coward. Because I was so scared that if I got to close then I wouldn't let go. And the idea of that is terrifying. So I looked at the floor, to avoid the thoughts in my head. Maybe Roman's mind was buzzing because I think he did too.

"Roman, talk to me. Please." Roman looked at me slowly.
"What is there to say?" His voice was flat, lifeless.
"Everything. There is everything to say."
"It doesn't matter." The monotony caused stabbing pains to crawl into my stomach.
"What happened to you Roman? What's going on?" He didn't say anything. "Your still Thomas's hero. Don't you trust me?

"Of course I trust you Patton." His voice cracked slightly.
"Then what is it Roman? What is it?"
"I'm not..."
"Not what?"
"I'm not your hero."
"Roman?"
"I'm not your hero, am I Patton? Not anymore."

I was stunned into silence. Roman was finally looking at me properly but the pain in his eyes made me want to turn away.
"That's all I've ever wanted Patton. Yes it's great that Thomas cares for me, but I want you to. I want you to care about me like I care about you. I want to be your hero but I'm not. Because I'm me and I mess everything up."

I could see his eyes starting to tear up. I brought him into a tight hug and spoke gently into his ear.
"You're wrong Roman. You are so incredibly, completely wrong. You are my hero, my knight in shining armour." He pulled away and looked at me.
"I am?"
"You are." Roman went back into the hug and we stayed there for a while.

"I wish you had told me sooner, Roman. I think you're incredible."

~•~

The next time I came into Roman's room there was paper and clothes scattered everywhere. The covers of the bed were twisted and crayola crayons littered the floor. He sat on his bed, looking through his mountain of notebooks.
"Ro? You ready for our picnic?" My voice made him jump as I gestured to my basket.
"Yeah, sorry. I got distracted." He shot me a bright smile.
"No worries, come on."

He stood up and made his way next to me.
"Lead the way, my hero."
He grabbed my hand and declared: "Onwards!" Before pulling me out the room. I could already feel the grin crawling up my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Goodness this is terrible. I really wanted to post something but I didn't know what to write so I'm sorry for the bad quality. Hopefully next weeks update will be better. Thank you for reading.

Take care of yourselves.

-SiD