Chapter 19

It had been awhile since Ukai had decided to become the coach, so you all called him Coach Ukai now. He was having trouble deciding the starting line up and had asked for your advice as well as Kiyoko's because he knew that you payed attention to the team and their abilities.

"I'm just struggling for who to out in as the official setter, Sugawara is a third year so he has experience with the team and knows what kind of sets they like, it's also his last year to play but Kageyama is a really amazing setter and together with Hinata they can pull off that crazy quick attack," he explained as you nodded your head slowly in agreement.

"I think you should ask them; they probably know what would be better for the team" you told him.

"I guess you're right do you think you could ask for me? I've gotta work out who's gonna play the other positions" he sighed. 

"Sure, no problem, I'll go now" you replied as you got up.

You went to go and find the two setters. You knew where Kageyama would be, so you decided to find him first, but you bumped into Sugawara instead.

"Oh, Sugawara I was just looking for you, Coach Ukai needs you to-" you began but Sugawara cut you off.

"It's about the starting line-up isn't it? Where is he? I'll go and talk to him now" he said as he looked around searching for the coach.

"Oh, he's in the gym but don't you need Kageyama too?" you asked in confusion.

"Don't worry we won't need him," he smiled at you sadly.

"Oh, ok then..." you trailed off as Sugawara walked away from you.

You understood the situation, he was going to let Kageyama be the setter.

Time skip to practice ~

You were at practice with Kiyoko since Hana had needed to go home early and although she wasn't the most talkative person you seemed to get along really well. You remembered when she had asked you to be the manager, you felt really bad turning her down, but she understood which you were grateful for.

Takeda had announced that they were going to go on a training camp and that they had managed to arrange a practice match against one of their old rivals, Nekoma. You wouldn't be going with them to the training camp, but you had promised to come and watch their match against Nekoma.

Coach Ukai had decided to reveal who would be on the starting line-up. Kageyama would be the setter, Hinata and Tsukishima would be middle blockers, Nishinoya would be the libero and Daichi, Asahi and Tanaka would all be wing spikers. You were a bit confused, wasn't Hinata a little short to be a middle blocker? But you didn't question it, Coach Ukai probably knew better than you.

You had kind of zoned out a bit, but you snapped back into reality when you heard Hinata complaining about being the decoy.

"It's just not as cool as the ace!" he complained loudly.

"What's wrong, Hinata? I think that it's a pretty important job, you can score way more points as a team if you become the greatest decoy," you said as you tried to make him feel better.

Kageyama decided to back you up, "Yeah, we need you to be the decoy." 

It wasn't much but it was enough to get Hinata excited again.

"In that case I'm gonna become the Ultimate Decoy!" he exclaimed. 

You smiled, glad that you could make your friend feel better, but when you saw Yamaguchi's face your face fell. Nothing had changed about his expression, but you knew your friend too well to be able to tell when he was down. You didn't want to draw attention to him, so you decided to ask him about it later although you had a pretty good idea what it was going to be about.

Does anyone else just start crying because all Sugawara wanted to do was play volleyball but he knew Kageyama was better for the team or is that just me?