Sugawara Koushi x Seme! Male reader

Request by: leJINdaryEren

Title: "Guide me, little light"

Type: Fluff

Don't play the song until it says so in the story.

(Y/N) POV / Medieval AU

The winter sun was gently tucked away behind a layer of soft and fluffy white clouds. The morning air was chilly and I saw a faint cloud of smoke escape my mouth. The layer of fresh snow crunched beneath my leather boots, I shivered beneath my tunic and with a sigh, I pulled my woolen cloak to warm myself. The small town I lived in looked grimmer than any other winter. The few people that were roaming the abandoned streets kept their gaze on the snow-covered stone-paved road. Not paying too much mind to the sorrowful bypassers I continued on towards the town hut. As I was approaching the large wooden doors I felt soft coldness on my hands. I looked upwards and I saw that it started snowing. I ran a hand through my messy (h/c) hair and I knocked on the door. When they opened I was welcomed by the warm air emitting from inside and the smell of soup and sausage. I felt my stomach reaction as I took off my cloak, getting rid of fresh snow. I scanned the room, looking for my sister, and I saw her smiling on the other corner of the room, where she was giggling with other girls. I waved her with a little smile as I approached the table in the far corner of the room. I took a seat in the, rather uncomfortable, wooden chair. I saw the lord and he was busy counting the people present. The ran a hand across his long beard as His thick black eyebrows furrowed together. I saw his chest rise rapidly before he exhaled and his deep bass voice silenced everyone.

"I guess the majority of you know why I called everyone here. This winter is longer and more severe than any other we encountered so far. We are running out of food, and the spring won't be coming any time soon."

Something heavy filled his voice as he continued.

"We have to send someone to the neighboring town."

One of the elders stood up with the help of his cane.

"Another storm is coming today. We can't send someone to death."

The lord sighed as he avoided the elder's gaze.

"We must. It's our only hope at surviving the winter. We can stretch our food to last us another week, at best. After that, it's certain death to all of us."

Everyone remained quiet, the white-bearded elder also sat down, grooming his long beard. The silence was absolute for a minute or two before the lord's voice filled the room again.

"All of the younger men will draw straws. Whoever gets the shortest one will be the one to go.

I noticed some people were approaching the lord. With a sigh, I stood up to join them. Frankly, I was no hero, the only thing I had was my sister, and I wanted to be someone she can look up to. I approached the old lord, he gave me an apologetic smile as he extended his hand towards me. In his hand were five straws, leveled equally for me to choose. I closed my eyes as I grabbed one of them. When I looked at my hand I held a rather short piece of wheat.

"That's... That's the shortest."

My eyes widen as I observed the thin yellow straw of wheat in my palm. My mouth hanging slightly opened as the whole room focused on the two of us. It was like I died, but I was still breathing, all of the strength left my body and the only thing that filled my mind was the dark cold night and my body that was slowly being covered by a layer of snow. I felt a hand on my shoulders and my scared (e/c) eyes met with the warm fatherly gaze of the lord.