4. 𝘐𝘵'𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵

Getting into the passenger seat of his silver Audi RS 5 Sportback. "It's done..." I told him, briefly. Unable to speak, I felt numb. I felt out of it. I wanted to crawl in my blankets and cry. I wanted dip my head in water and not hear anything. I wanted so many things but none of them reachable or reasonable. After signing a lot of paperwork and having answered questions about my medical history. Getting my pre abo—

I couldn't say it. I just couldn't.

Pre-workup, which included a physical examination, pregnancy test, blood test, screening for sexually transmitted infections, an ultrasound to confirm how far along I was—

was? was? I had really done it.

— was in my pregnancy and having them check for uterine, fetal, or placental abnormalities.

I was exhausted and done for.

"It's for the best." He replied softly putting his hand on top of mine.

"Thanks for coming... to pick me up." I almost hiccuped tearfully emotional.

"What kind of a heartless person would I be if I didn't Kari?" We were parked outside Planned parenthood. The heavy silence sat with us. It was so heavy it made my eyes want to prick with tears. The discomfort in my body. The conscience, the hurt, it was all too much for me to handle. For a second, I regretted ever meeting him. He was a good person but not mine. Never would be. Hunter was down to earth, a good person. Just not mine. He never hurt me intentionally, everything happened so fast. Everything!

"I would have loved to come in with you but I didn't want to raise suspicions." Hunter added. Looking down at our intwined hands, his silver marital ring burned me. It hurt me. I looked away and watched as other women went in and out. I could sense discomfort, I could see the disappointment they had on their faces, the only option. It was difficult, it was a hard decision. I would never put my worst enemy in such a position. It took so much.

"She can have you." I said lowly pulling my hand away from his. His forest green pupils that I loved so much almost dilated with shock. I presumed he never thought I'd say something like this but... what was the point. I did not understand why we even bothered being together. As much as I loved him, this was as far as I could take the hurt and agony. I couldn't take it any further than that. I had to think of my parents and the sacrifices they had made. I was almost there. Soon I'd be able to go home and never see them again.

"Nearly four years? All for us to end it this way..." He replied lowly, his voice gruff.

"It's for the best." I mocked him with his own words.

Running his fingers through his brown hair, he wanted to say more. I could feel it but going against it. He turned on the ignition and drove me to the place I had called home for the past three and a half years. I did not understand why my college experience just had to be different. What had I gotten myself into? It was not too late to turn back.