17. Are you upset?

"...what's funny?"

"...nothing!" Hunter dismissed quickly. His wife looked at him wearily before turning back to her laptop. It was their usual routine, their coffee mugs on the bedsides and their laptops in front of them, warm in the comfort of their blankets. Hunter turned to sleep facing his side of the bed with his phone keeping him entertained. He was never one for social media and etc like Rachel. He didn't text much either, his phone was as dry as could be. He called, had a large folder of his daughter's photos that Rachel sent in daily. He never missed any milestone from when she started crawling to walking. Rachel was always considerate enough to tape it all for Hunter.

Hunter: thinking of you.

Karishma: about today?

Hunter: no...

Karishma: about what?

Hunter: the day, I actually get to have you; not just the tip.

Karishma: I wonder when is that day :)

Hunter: you tell me, Miss Naidoo.

Karishma: is this allowed? Mr Clifford.

Hunter: depends.

Karishma: on what exactly.

Hunter: in terms of Hofstra University? What the board doesn't know won't hurt them. It's none of their business either.

Karishma: In terms of your wife?

Hunter: Well, It's complicated...we're actually in an open marriage at the moment. Trying to look at other options before deciding...

Karishma: deciding on what?

Hunter: if our marriage is worth continuing but I'd rather not talk about that. I want to talk about you... and me; us. Entwined.

Karishma: 😳

Hunter: uhm did I say something wrong?

Karishma: No, it's just I can't believe this is actually happening. You excite me, and that's not something I feel often.

Hunter: You excite me too. You excited me before I even knew what you looked like. Just by only reading your paper. I'm attracted to smart women, you being beautiful was honestly a bonus.

Karishma: Why am I even surprised... you're good with words. It's your occupation.

Hunter: Fair enough, but I meant what I said. You're a rare gem.

Karishma: Do you say that to every student?

Hunter: To be fair, I've only liked one student.

Karishma: Do I know her? 🙃

Hunter: maybe, she is after all also from Durban. She has an exquisite smile.

Karishma: my loss... I guess

Hunter: your loss 🤷🏻‍♂️...

Karishma: What do you like about her?

Hunter: Everything.

Karishma: elaborate? 💁🏽‍♀️

A/N: Karishma is a dark skinned Indian.