25. 𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘨𝘶𝘪𝘭𝘵𝘺.

It had been a long day, all he wanted was a strong black cup of coffee. Karishma was always considerate enough to visit him with it, unfortunately those days were long gone. It was beginning to sink in that Kari did not want him or this. He had hurt her, Rachel as well. He had even hurt himself by assuming this would last forever. After spending the weekend alone with a cold bed side for the first time in years; he just wanted to be alone and not seeking or reaching for either of them. Hunter was exhausted, it was all draining. Rachel had childishly ran off to visit her mother as always; she'd be back sooner or later. She just needed to cool off. Hunter was not really concerned, Rachel would never jeopardize herself in that peculiarity. As much as she was unthoughtful at times blinded by jealousy and bitterness, she was somewhat down to earth when she wanted to be. She was a smart woman, who knew where to draw the line but it seemed Karishma really drove her off the edge of her limit.

There was chatter in the staff room but as soon as Hunter stepped in; it all suddenly came to a halt. The four professors who had been conversing, sharing a cup of tea and chatter suddenly dispersed. They gave him a nod before heading out which was odd. They might have been way older but they were always down for a good chat. Something didn't feel right, as the other three men left leaving Hunter with a cold rush running down his spine one decided to stay. Giving him a warm smile. Prof. Florence Jian, a short petite Asian-American woman graceful but intimidating in her stance and never aging even in her late forties. She greeted Hunter like she would at any given day whenever they came across each other. Afflicted with the awkward situation, he was about to walk off to make himself a cup when she spoke up.

"Mr. Clifford?"

"Yes, Professor Jian?" He replied anxiously.

"I'm not one to gossip or listen to gossip but I must admit I've always thought very highly of you. You're the youngest in our faculty you bring out the best grades—"

"I'm anxious as it is now as much as it's all compliments why do I feel as if there's a but?" Hunter added apprehensively.

"There is a bit!" She mumbled taking a sip of her green tea. She took off her spectacles laying them on the table. "There are rumors going around about you being involved with students. I will not speak behind your back. I'd rather confront you..."

"Oh!" was his only response, a bit unmoved.

"Is it true because if it is? That is off the table and down right unprofessional."

"...who even started such ridiculous nonsense...!" Hunter laughed, trying to hide his guilt. "I get that I'm the youngest in the faculty and it must be great to taunt me. I'm not stealing anyone's job. I'm rightfully where I should be, i do my job, I respect everyone and I won't accept any defamation—"

"Stop right there, just stop beating around the bush young man. For one, you're married and secondly students should be treated by faculty as scholars, not as potential sexual partners."

"I'm aware!" Hunter added nonchalantly, he tried to act confident as to not blow his cover. Deep down he was in panic mode.

"Mr. Clifford, I understand that while it is legal, it is hardly professional for lecturers to date students. Professors are required to alert the university should a relationship develop between them and a student to ensure no unfair advantage is given to the student. You're aware of this regardless, Lecturers are in a position of power and must maintain professional conduct or face losing their jobs due to a conflict of interest."

"Why are you telling me this Professor Jian? I haven't even admitted to your claims. I read my contract well before I got this job, I'd appreciated if you don't recite it over again for me to hear."

"You're guilty." The woman told him unmoved.

"The way you see me is none of my concern."

"I'm only looking out for you. I hope you know as tempting as it maybe power complicates consent. Professor/student romances should never happen because of that type of power dynamic. I've worked in this feud long enough to have witnessed such out of line relationships, they all crush and burn in the end."

Hunter listened carefully, trying not to seem untouched by her words. He was aware, he was well aware from all the nights he spent researching and looking for a loophole around it. He had never planned to take it this far with Karishma, it just happened. He got carried away, he had no plans of loving her the way he did now. He never had plans to have her in his life long term.

"...uh...alright then, believe what you want." He mustered.

"There's no point denying you're involved with a student. Your marriage must be in shambles."

"I'd rather not discuss my personal life, thank you for being concerned but my wife and I are very happy."

"I'm not an idiot, Mr Clifford. I saw you both one night at the south campus parking, the car was shaking a storm. University property of all places? I thought you'd be at least smarter than that. Do not worry I'm not the problem unlucky for you because Prof. Wilkerson was present and now he is telling everyone who cares enough to lend an ear. He has never liked you but oh well you've certainly given him an opportunity before you know it. You will be called for a hearing."

Hunter was taken aback. He couldn't recall, there had been too many times to try and recall. There was no denying at this point. His cheeks flushed red with embarrassment. For someone who had lied unprovoked and continuously, he was out of words.

"A piece of advise young man, if you want to make it far as a male professor; stay away from young skirts especially at work. Go ahead and date whomever you want out there but not here not at work. It's unprofessional and utterly disgusting. I don't know your reason for pursuing this relationship but to others, it may look as if you're abusing your power and taking advantage because a student can never say no. They think highly of you and they're afraid you will ruin their upcoming efforts in their chosen feud. Like I said Power complicates consent, you never know if it's genuine or they're afraid of you and what you may do if they don't conform to your advances."

"I'm not like that, I'd never do that to someone no matter how horrid things maybe between us—"

"Not everyone knows that regardless to the public that is how it seems."

"Noted..." Hunter murmured abruptly leaving his cup with only two sugars and nothing else. He felt abashed.

Florence could only shake her head at his childish behavior. She thought men had absolutely no morals, she had seen this happen way too many times most of the time, it was sexual harassment and no consent.

Hunter sat in his car, head against the staring wheel. Roughly hitting against it. He was brought to a halt when it made sound. Everything was piling up, Rachel was gone, Karishma was gone, his job and workplace in flames. He had to cancel a lecture, feeling embarrassed. He felt as if every person on campus was whispering whenever he walked by. He felt as if everyone was talking about him. Hunter had never intended it to get this far. Playing with fire was always exhilarating until you got burnt and wounded.

25 votes + 20 comments :)