15. 𝘈𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦?

"I spoke to Ruby's mom and she said four o'clock is fine with her."

Hunter continued typing. "Wait who is Ruby?"

Rachel rolled her eyes. "See Hunter, this is what happens when you don't listen to anything your daughter says. When you do not care what she does or whatever because you're busy committing adultery."

"Are you going to tell me who is Ruby...?" He ignored her remarks.

"It's Hailey's best friend from school. They started first grade together."

"...ohh...nice..." Hunter mumbled.

"Don't feed them too many sweets or unhealthy snacks. I already made them lunch. Don't allow them to play near the poolside. All you need to do is watch them then take Ruby home around four pm. After eating they usually do their homework. Help them here and there but don't give them all the answers because they won't learn. Ruby's mom works late that's why she is always here which I don't mind at all. I left the address on the refrigerator. Please Hunter, I hope you're listening. I never ask anything from you. Call me if there are any problems."

"Yes, yes...! I hear you." Hunter said stopping everything he was doing to listen carefully.

"Alright, good." Rachel muttered, about to walk away.

"You look beautiful, Rach!"

He had not turned to glance at her in a while or even look at her in that way. He genuinely meant it, she looked beautiful. It was not everyday that Rachel dressed up and got her make up down. She always preferred to be a comfortable stay at home mom. It made Hunter where she was going.

"Thanks." She replied, a bit weary of his intentions. She did not know if they were genuine or not. After the last session with Bonnie, Hunter had been acting more cautious of his words and actions. In fact he had even decided to take a couple of days home. Hunter was never home, maybe in the evening but during the day; it was hard enough to get ahold of him. In the past three years. He had developed a bad habit of disappearing for so long then reappearing and not wanting to be asked any questions otherwise he would suddenly become hostile.

"Where are you off to?" Hunter questioned accompanying her out. They went past the kitchen. Hailey and Ruby waved at them all giggly as they sat on the silver stools with their bowels of pasta on the kitchen island. Hailey resembled her mother so much. She had this innocent grin, and chubby cheeks. Blonde hair with bangs, that she could not wait to show off to her dad the day she got them. There was no one more pure than his little girl.

"You know..."

"I don't know..!" Hunter mumbled, holding onto the door of her car. They had both invested in buying a family car but Rachel used it more. The white Ford Edge, SUV seemed like the best option at the time. They had plans to have two more children at the time. Their house and car was bought with regards to the future plans that they had. Rachel made a promise to herself that she would not be having a second child with someone who was no longer invested. She would not make the mistake of thinking a new born baby would suddenly fix their tumbling marriage. It wouldn't and unfortunately many people based their happiness off a child to fix something that was already in the pits. Rachel wanted to try for her daughter, she deserved that. She deserved a happy home. Divorce crossed her mind often but she wasn't ready to take that chance. It was a big decision. It always seemed easy for people on the side lines to yell... 'leave him.' 'divorce him' 'let it go' 'call the lawyers' but when found in that situation it was a difficult step to take. She had not married to simply jump at any call for help, she knew they would encounter problems and she was willing to work for it. She was willing to try no matter how many of her friends and family called her stupid. They did not understand. Divorce would mean so much, financially and emotionally.

"The Jean Monroe blogging seminar, I told you about a few months back. She will only be in New York for a week before going back to London." Rachel murmured. Hunter could sense the excitement in her voice. He didn't remember, ofcourse he didn't. He hardly ever listened to anything she said lately. "I've been looking forward to this for so long. It's a weekend seminar but I knew you couldn't handle Hailey so I decided to attend on a daily until the weekend is over."

"...no, Rach! I think you deserve to spend the weekend without any mom duties. I'm sure Hailey and I can handle it."

"Are you sure? Hunter, I know how busy you get." Rachel was genuinely touched with his concern for her happiness.

"Please, you should go. You deserve a break from everything."

"Oh my goodness, if I knew... I would have packed extra clothes and everything but I'm already late as it is."

"... just tell me what you need tomorrow. I will bring them to your hotel." Hunter suggested.

"Are you sure?" She questioned.

"Yes, of course!"

"And Hailey?"

"We will be fine!" Hunter assured her. "Just go have fun. You haven't had this in a while."

A bit unsure, but excited. She hugged her husband. As they were about to pull away, they couldn't help but look at each other with adoration. He laid a somber kiss on her lips. It felt like nothing had ever changed, infidelity had never happened and it was just them again. As he watched her reverse from the drive way. He waved good bye, giving her thumbs up. Assuring her, he could handle a weekend with Hailey. She wasn't that much trouble. She could be an earful with the never ending talking, she loved to talk... like her mother. She never stopped talking but somehow it worked. Opposites attract. Rachel was more outspoken than her husband but when it came to Karishma, Hunter was the more talkative one. Suppose it was different in every way. With Karishma, she listened and he talked more. Rachel always thought of herself as a listener but she wasn't. She had a way of turning every conversation to be about her. They could be speaking about his achievements and so on and it would suddenly be about Rachel. Perhaps these were the concerns he should have listed in their last  marriage counseling session if he really wanted this to work. Rachel was pushy, Karishma was open and understanding. Rachel thought of herself as a feminist fighting the big fight and complaining about modern world problems. Problems such as men in subways or public transport all around New York who sat  with their legs wide open therefore women can't be comfortable. Hunter thought it was stupid, she complained and fought for stupid stupid deeds.

Karishma, never claimed to be a feminist but she was always fighting for some good. She was concerned with stealthing, rape, children in third world countries who can't go to school once a week every month because they can't afford sanitary pads. She saw life differently. They had outstanding communication, Karishma and Hunter tried new things sexually like anal and bdsm. He was more open with her, he showed her whom he really was. It was as at times, Rachel knew who he used to be but with time people grow. She never bothered to learn who he was now years later. Karishma and Hunter, were always open to doing anything together. Rachel was controlling, if Hunter ever suggested anything; Rachel would first ridicule him before even considering it. To some extent, Rachel pushed her husband away with some of her toxic personality traits. She was likable but sometimes— he got sick if it. A man, preferred to be where is most appreciated and less judged. Where he found most comfort and support.

20 votes + 15 comments :)