Part 5

When Nico and I got home, he said he was going to cook dinner.

"Can I cook with you?" I asked.

A huge grin spread across Nico's face. "I would love that," he said, trying to--unsuccessfully-- suppress his smile.

Nico started putting things on the counter. "Do you want to try cooking the meat?"

"Do I have to touch it raw?" I asked, slightly horrified at the idea.

Nico chuckled. "No, it's been thawing all day, so all you have to do is put the meat from the bag to the pan, and stir it until it's brown."

"Okay," I said.

I took the bag of meat and squeezed it into the pan, I shuddered as I touched the meat through the bag. I could hear Nico laughing behind me as he diced the carrots. I stirred it in the pan and I felt Nico wrap his arms around my waist. "I love that my husband wants to cook with me," he whispered in my ear.

I smiled and turned around to face him. I kissed the top of his head and he rested his head on my chest. We stayed like that for a minute before returning to the food making.

That night we decided to eat in the living room. We watched a few episodes of Psych while we ate, then we turned on a movie. Nico wanted to watch "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark".

Halfway through the movie, Nico was in my lap, clutching my arm.

"Why do you insist on watching scary movies if you're going to sit in my lap the whole time?" I teased.

Nico shifted so he was straddling me and put his arms around my neck. "Are you complaining, la mia luce?"

"Not in a million years, Tesoro," I said, pulling him into a kiss.

A jump scare popped up on the screen and Nico jumped and fell off my lap. I laughed and arranged myself so I was spooning him on the couch, so I could protectively hold him in my arms, and we watched the rest of the movie like that.

Towards the end, I ended up falling asleep. I'm not sure if the same happened to Nico, or he just decided to sleep on the couch with me after the movie ends, but I was happy either way.