Part 8

"Here's a number for the social worker that set us up with Rose and Joshua." Frank handed us a sticky note.

Hazel and Frank brought their two kids with them because they couldn't find a sitter at the last minute. They played over at the park that was right next to the diner, but Hazel could still see them. Joshua was nine and Rose was seven. They grew up together but both of their parents died in an accident. They have been living with the couple for two years now.

Frank explained more about the process when Rose came running up to Hazel. "Mama! Mama! Josh kept stealing my acorn!" Rose has a southern accent.

Josh ran up. "I did not. She tellin' lies! It was a pinecone."

"You two behave yourselves. Josh, stop stealing her pinecone."

"Acorn," Rose interrupted.

"Pinecone," Josh argued back.

They ran off to the playground again arguing about whether it was a pinecone or an acorn. I looked at Nico who was smiling at them fighting over who got to play on the swings from a distance. He looked lost in memories. Part of me wondered if he was thinking about Bianca, his older sister who killed herself when he was ten.

Hazel was chatting absent-mindedly and Frank was drawing pictures on the napkins. Their family looked so content.

I rested my hand on Nico's thigh under the table and he zoned back into reality. I'm not sure what I saw in his eyes, but it was quickly hidden when he smiled at me.

"We should get the kids home, but I loved talking with you guys. Call us again soon," Hazel said.

"Yeah, I have to meet Magnus and Alex today at Chase Space. There's a new kid who needs some support," Nico agreed.

When we arrived home, Nico said he would be back for dinner. I got dressed in my interview clothes because I finally got an interview with Kayla Knowles, a doctor looking for an assistant, and went off to the interview.