Prologue

<Gage Grant POV>

"Bye Gregory!" I yelled as we said goodbye to each other.

"Bye Gage!" He said back, closing the door afterwards. Leaving me outside to walk home.

Gregory was a friend of mine. He was the middle child out of 3 kids, but I didn't really like his older brother.

His older brother was Mickey, and Jameson his younger brother didn't really get along. Well Mickey was harsh to Jameson, he would hit him and shove him around.

Jameson is only 5! But I'm only 9 nine and so is Gergory, Mickey is 14 so he stands above us.

Anyway, walking home I saw someone near the train tracks.

They weren't going across it though...they stood on the track and just waited on them. Confused I walked closer to them but I heard the alarm that goes off when a train is coming.

But...they didn't move, they just stood and watched the oncoming train. So I ran to them and shoved them off the tracks.

The train sped past us and left us in the afterdust of the train. I got off them and saw it was a boy, maybe 9 too.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled at him.

He stared at me for a second before looking back at the passing train, "Umm." He said bluntly like he didn't know what he was doing.

"Are you ok?" I asked, not getting an answer for the last question.

"Yes, are you ok?" He asked back staring at me

"I'm alright, where do you live?" I asked looking around. I've never seen him before and I've lived here my whole life.

"Umm." He said again not really finding an answer.

"Nevermind, you can come with me." I said standing up and holding my hand out for him. He looked at my hand for a second before taking it and standing up.

"So what's your name?" He asked standing close to me

"Gage, how about you?" I asked back.

"Patton." He said, still staring at me like he's never seen someone like me.

We walked to my house and I just walked it, but Patton stood outside as if waiting for me to tell him to come in. I signalled him to step in and he did hesitantly, also took off his shoes.

"Mom!" I yelled

"Yes?" She yelled back from upstairs.

"I found someone!" I yelled and I heard running footsteps down the stairs.

She looked at Patton, "Hello." She said then looked at me, "Now what?" She asked, confused.

"Patton was standing in front of a train." I said bluntly. Her eyes went wide, "Why?" She asked looking back and forth between us.

"My mom said to stand in front of a train." He said simply.

"Are you ok?" She asked worriedly, looking around Patton without touching him.

"We're ok, but he doesn't know where he lives." I said

"Ok, I'm going to call the police and try to see where you came from." Mom said grabbing the phone from the counter.

I sat on the couch and Patton sat next to me, "What's the police?" He asked

"People who help others when they need help." I explained to him.